BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-06-2015, 11:19 PM   #1
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Flash tune?

I was wondering if anyone has flash tuned their n55 F15/F16?
There are several companies offering tunes since the ECU has been cracked.

I'm on the fence about the MPPK. I think it's worth the premium over a piggyback, but I would rather spend the money on an aftermarket flash tune.
Maybe some members here can shed some light on the matter. I know I will rarely get to use the additional power, but if I'm paying the same price, I'd rather have more.

My main concern is warranty. I want more power and better throttle response, but not at the cost of my car's warranty being voided. If I go in for a regularly scheduled service, can the tune be detected?
Coding can be wiped with software updates, can a flash tune be also?

What exactly does a flash tune do? Piggybacks seems to offer you different preset maps to choose from. Does the flash tuner create their own map? or are they unlocking preset maps BMW is hiding from you?

Once they unlock your ECU, can they access the tune through the ODB port? or does the ECU need to be taken out each time?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
EastCoast335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 | 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve535i View Post
I was wondering if anyone has flash tuned their n55 F15/F16?
There are several companies offering tunes since the ECU has been cracked.

I'm on the fence about the MPPK. I think it's worth the premium over a piggyback, but I would rather spend the money on an aftermarket flash tune.
Maybe some members here can shed some light on the matter. I know I will rarely get to use the additional power, but if I'm paying the same price, I'd rather have more.

My main concern is warranty. I want more power and better throttle response, but not at the cost of my car's warranty being voided. If I go in for a regularly scheduled service, can the tune be detected?
Coding can be wiped with software updates, can a flash tune be also?

What exactly does a flash tune do? Piggybacks seems to offer you different preset maps to choose from. Does the flash tuner create their own map? or are they unlocking preset maps BMW is hiding from you?

Once they unlock your ECU, can they access the tune through the ODB port? or does the ECU need to be taken out each time?

Thanks in advance
If your main concern is warranty and you want to stick with a flash based tune then your only option is the BMW MPPK.
All other third party flash tunes can be detected if the dealership looks for it.

Saying that if you're just going in for a regular service like oil change, they will not be looking for it, but if something goes wrong with your vehicle and they investigate they will most likely find it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #3
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

thanks guys! MPPK it is
Appreciate 0