BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5d

Tinted x5d, 20% in front

Hello -

I was told it's 15% in the rear windows and went with 20% in the front which seemed close since there is some tint on the natural glass. Here she is!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
Hello -

I was told it's 15% in the rear windows and went with 20% in the front which seemed close since there is some tint on the natural glass. Here she is!
looking sharp
      11-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Am I the only one who is bothered by the ez-pass tag on windshield? Not just your vehicle, but I think it just looks so out of place. I haven't stuck mine in there since I don't go through tolls that often, but I wonder if we spray painted just the bottom side if they would bill us for the tag when it's time to replace it.

Good matching tint by the way.
      11-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #4
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep

I don't notice it any more from the inside since it is smaller. I've never returned one either, so I'd say paint away. Only thing is serial number on it though
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Looks awesome. I just tinted mine and went with 20% on the front only since the back is already dark and it looks great. Wish I would have gone with the same set up you have. It looks better.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't notice it any more from the inside since it is smaller. I've never returned one either, so I'd say paint away. Only thing is serial number on it though
New York or Tri-State Ez-Pass was just upgraded from the large square one to about a half-size rectangular one, and I had to return the old one in a prepaid envelope, I don't think this one will be upgraded anytime soon. If I could know what they cost in case of loss/replacement I would feel a lot better, though.. I think I can just tape the serial number first, let's see..

Edit: It's $16! I am painting it with matte black spraypaint!
However, I see there is also external tags we can get, but I don't have a plate in the front. Let's see.

Pleas post more pictures of that white beauty.
      11-22-2014, 12:09 AM   #7
Haris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 BMW M4

Garage List
Quote:
Hello -

Looks great. Got more photos?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 12:14 AM   #8
Haris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 BMW M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotoy4me View Post
Looks awesome. I just tinted mine and went with 20% on the front only since the back is already dark and it looks great. Wish I would have gone with the same set up you have. It looks better.
Wait.. isn't that what OP said he did? 20% in front just like you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Am I the only one who is bothered by the ez-pass tag on windshield? Not just your vehicle, but I think it just looks so out of place. I haven't stuck mine in there since I don't go through tolls that often, but I wonder if we spray painted just the bottom side if they would bill us for the tag when it's time to replace it.

Good matching tint by the way.
This is what I use and leave it on my dash. Works great and doesn't move:
http://tonicconcepts.myshopify.com/c...cts/bold-black

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 05:34 AM   #9
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Nice dash option! I had the bumper mount, the second you tap something it cracks, or someone taps you.... uugg!

More pics later today - soccer time!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haris View Post
This is what I use and leave it on my dash. Works great and doesn't move:
http://tonicconcepts.myshopify.com/c...cts/bold-black

I have the new one, about half the size, should still be OK but I'd rather have a box that's smaller. I didn't think the ezpass could penetrate through box like that. Maybe I can wrap it in leather.

Thanks for the idea! Found these:

http://tonicconcepts.myshopify.com/c...ts/2013-t-case

http://www.super-ez-pass-holder.com/...lder-1SF1V.htm

Quote:
Nice dash option! I had the bumper mount, the second you tap something it cracks, or someone taps you.... uugg!

More pics later today - soccer time!
Does the front one have to be completely visible? I don't have a plate in the front so I am thinking maybe I can mount it somewhere less obvious, afterall the absence of plate is to maintain clean look, wouldn't want to mess the looks with EZpass up front.
      11-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
Wardman
First Lieutenant
Rep

I don't think it would need to be, it does go through a windshield and plastic already. Problem is, I don't want to get the fine for trying :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #12
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

hyde, where did you get that smaller tag? The stupid E-Zpass mailed me the new/same old size one in 2012 to exchange my 17-years-old tag. The new/small one looks better.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #13
rlemek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 M-sport

Plasti-dip it.. peels right off after your done with it ;-)
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 01:40 PM   #14
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by retx View Post
hyde, where did you get that smaller tag? The stupid E-Zpass mailed me the new/same old size one in 2012 to exchange my 17-years-old tag. The new/small one looks better.

They just mailed me the smaller one out of the blue and asked me to put the old one back in there and send it with the prepaid pouch they sent. I may have gotten an email notifying me about this but I don't remember.

You can always go to EZ Pass office and swap them, or did you check if you can request a new tag online?

I bought a can of plastidip, and immediately changed my mind about plastidipping the side markers, that thing doesn't look that even no matter how many coats you put and no matter how much you wait in between. However, this thread did remind me to plastidip the tags. The only issue is that those little velcro areas cannot be plastidipped so they will remain white.. I requested new velcros but I think they arrived with only the windshield sides not the tag sides. I like a clean dash so I changed my mind about the dash box.
      01-31-2015, 02:30 PM   #15
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They just mailed me the smaller one out of the blue and asked me to put the old one back in there and send it with the prepaid pouch they sent. I may have gotten an email notifying me about this but I don't remember.

You can always go to EZ Pass office and swap them, or did you check if you can request a new tag online?

I bought a can of plastidip, and immediately changed my mind about plastidipping the side markers, that thing doesn't look that even no matter how many coats you put and no matter how much you wait in between. However, this thread did remind me to plastidip the tags. The only issue is that those little velcro areas cannot be plastidipped so they will remain white.. I requested new velcros but I think they arrived with only the windshield sides not the tag sides. I like a clean dash so I changed my mind about the dash box.
I did check the site which shows the option to get the replacement when it's lost or stolen. Anyway, I'll give them a call to request the new one before stepping in their office. The new one looks better!! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #16
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Can't get the smaller tag like hyde has had. The support said it depends on the inventory. If I request the new one, I may get the old style tag or the new one. They can't guarantee.

This sucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #17
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by retx View Post
Can't get the smaller tag like hyde has had. The support said it depends on the inventory. If I request the new one, I may get the old style tag or the new one. They can't guarantee.

This sucks.
It's no big deal, yours is just as good. Do you regularly cross bridge and tunnel.

You can still visit EZ Pass office if you really want one.
      02-06-2015, 04:20 PM   #18
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's no big deal, yours is just as good. Do you regularly cross bridge and tunnel.

You can still visit EZ Pass office if you really want one.
Thanks. Visiting the office will be next. Now I manually bring the tag to my windshield every time. I can't decide where/how to place it. I like to see if I can get the new/smaller tag first.

Yah. I do cross the bridges/tunnels often...
Appreciate 0