X5 50i 22 75.86%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

01-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep
Drives: Wood Hauler

Help me logically decide -

Ok, so BMW has offered to match Truecar price. Then Porsche called and offered me $83000 for a very well equipped Macan Turbo.

which one do i pick?:

1 95BAF1 Macan Turbo 72,300.00
2 2T Jet Black Metallic 690.00
3 VF Leather Package in Black 0.00
4 QJ6 Window Trim in Matte Black 0.00
5 CY3 20" RS Spyder Design Wheels 1,650.00
6 9AQ 3-zone Climate Control 510.00
7 7X8 ParkAssist (Front and Rear) with Reversing Camera 0.00
8 5MH Carbon Fiber Interior Package 940.00
9 1NP Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest 185.00
10 1D6 Trailer Hitch without Tow Ball 650.00
11 1BK Air Suspension incl. Porsche Active Suspension Management 1,385.00
12 PJ4 Premium Package Plus 4,660.00
13 7V3 Instrument Dials in White 690.00
14 7M3 Door-Sill Guards in Carbon Fiber 725.00
Total Retail Vehicle Price 84,385.00
Destination Charge 995.00
Total of Charges & Taxes 995.00
Total Retail Price 85,380.00

BMW -
BASE MSRP - $70,100
M Sport $3,500
Black Sapphire Metallic $0
Black Dakota Leather $0
Fineline Pure Wood Trim $0
Cold Weather Package $550
Driver Assistance Plus $1,900
• ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant $1,200
Dynamic Handling Package $3,600
Executive Package $4,600
Lighting Package $1,900
Adaptive M Suspension $900
Concierge Services $250
Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration $500
Front ventilated seats $500
Space-saver spare $150
Destination & Handling: $950
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I'm assuming given the forum you're posting in you're referring to is an X5. You're comparing two different animals here, the Macan is much smaller. So do you want more space or smaller, faster (I'm assuming from your build price the X5 is a 35i not 50) and more nimble....? Answer that and you have your answer, rest doesn't matter given the class difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I'm assuming given the forum you're posting in you're referring to is an X5. You're comparing two different animals here, the Macan is much smaller. So do you want more space or smaller, faster (I'm assuming from your build price the X5 is a 35i not 50) and more nimble....?
I'm aware of the size difference. if the X3/X4 offered the 5.0 engine, I would be all over it.

I just simply want what's the best deal/speed for price.

That MSRP comes out to 90k for the X5, not sure why you think that's a 35i.

With regards to where I am posting it. I think there is more objectivity on the bimmerpost site than on the macan forums. Also everyone has been significantly more helpful.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

A difficult choice as they are both very good cars. BMW has a better tech package (HUD, iDrive). Macan, being much smaller, is a rocket and very fun to drive. Macan is and will be less common, more unique.

One down side of all Porsches is their slanted center console which deems the area useless for even setting down a phone.

If you are mentally split dead-center between the choices, I'd hate to be you. At the end you will have to like one more than the other and not rely on our preferences. That said, I believe the better comp for X5 is the Cayenne, not the Macan.

Best of luck, and hope to see you back with an X5
      01-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

A friend of mine is a Porsche Enthusiast. I met him a few weeks ago for New Year dinner. This is his summary.
It is a nice car, but don't expect comfort out of it.
It is fun to drive and has a lot of power.

But, IMO. If you are comparing the Macan to the X5 5.0i, I would jump on the X5.
It is a bigger car, more power, more room, better gadget than the Macan.
It is more bang for the buck than the Porsche Macan.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 04:56 PM   #6
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

After driving the X5 35d with a chip (525 lbs trq) and driving my friends SQ5. The SQ5 was more nimble and much faster. I cant say anything about the 5.0 which is a whole another story, especially if chipped. If you don't care about space, go with the Macan Turbo. The SQ5 is 1/3 of a Macan Turbo in terms of the chassis, and speed. With that said the Macan wins hands down. This is just my 2 cents. Out of the box, you're going to get an amazing vehicle that is tried and tested. If you go with the bimmer, you may want to spend money on suspension upgrades and a chip, all in all about 3-5k in extra work if not more. Why wont you wait for the X5M which is already being allocated across the US. Yes it's more $$ but not relatively more then what you're spending...thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #7
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
A difficult choice as they are both very good cars. BMW has a better tech package (HUD, iDrive). Macan, being much smaller, is a rocket and very fun to drive. Macan is and will be less common, more unique.

One down side of all Porsches is their slanted center console which deems the area useless for even setting down a phone.

If you are mentally split dead-center between the choices, I'd hate to be you. At the end you will have to like one more than the other and not rely on our preferences. That said, I believe the better comp for X5 is the Cayenne, not the Macan.

Best of luck, and hope to see you back with an X5
Size isn't the entire issue yet. (right now it's just a DD) - and i'll have to really only juggle 1 kid + 1 dog + 1 wife for the life of this vehicle. I am dead split 50/50 and need the wonderful input of the largest auto enthusiast community to help me weigh in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
A friend of mine is a Porsche Enthusiast. I met him a few weeks ago for New Year dinner. This is his summary.
It is a nice car, but don't expect comfort out of it.
It is fun to drive and has a lot of power.

But, IMO. If you are comparing the Macan to the X5 5.0i, I would jump on the X5.
It is a bigger car, more power, more room, better gadget than the Macan.
It is more bang for the buck than the Porsche Macan.
Nothing can be more uncomfortable than a GT-R as a daily. So discomfort is not too much of a worry.
In terms of power, they match up fairly evenly, with the Turbo consistently hitting 4.3-4.5 while the larger X5 hits 4.5-4.7 consistently.

With how rare a Macan is, the resale value is quite high, versus the residual on the much more popular X5. Although, I guess there are definitely less 5.0i's around.

However, tech wise, there are more hands on gadgets on the X5, but more mechanical "gadgets" in the Macan.

Lastly, I guess and PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, over the life of the vehicle I save another 5000-7000 from all the included maintenance.

BUTTTTTTTT the Macan Turbo will clearly me more fun.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #8
eyeloveteeth
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnbrn5 View Post
After driving the X5 35d with a chip (525 lbs trq) and driving my friends SQ5. The SQ5 was more nimble and much faster. I cant say anything about the 5.0 which is a whole another story, especially if chipped. If you don't care about space, go with the Macan Turbo. The SQ5 is 1/3 of a Macan Turbo in terms of the chassis, and speed. With that said the Macan wins hands down. This is just my 2 cents. Out of the box, you're going to get an amazing vehicle that is tried and tested. If you go with the bimmer, you may want to spend money on suspension upgrades and a chip, all in all about 3-5k in extra work if not more. Why wont you wait for the X5M which is already being allocated across the US. Yes it's more $$ but not relatively more then what you're spending...thoughts?
There is something about spending over $100k that I can't quite stomach. I understand my MSRP for the 5.0i was 94k, but when it came down to it, the dealer is going to match the Truecar price, and probably has some more wriggle room. AKA $84k. In my mind, I am spending 84k which may be super close, but also makes my monthly payment only 700 vs 1100.

also, I want to change now (i can technically wait), but I really want something different. The F85 X5M sounds awesome, but i don't want to be a guinea pig either.

I'm not expecting the X5 to outperform the Macan Turbo in any way shape or form. But am I going to love the Macan Turbo less with baby + dog, or babies even + wife?

Or does the excitement of the Macan Turbo trump that?

This will be a daily driver, but then again, i don't drive far. I predominantly drive alone, but on weekends i don't, and we commute back to Long Island fairly often.

Again, a year from now, if I have a kid, will i regret the macan? I have no idea, and I need you awesome bimmerpost guys to fight for both sides for me, so I can more actively look at it from different perspectives.

It's amazing that at the point of me writing this, it's still split 50/50 on the polls.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth View Post
There is something about spending over $100k that I can't quite stomach. I understand my MSRP for the 5.0i was 94k, but when it came down to it, the dealer is going to match the Truecar price, and probably has some more wriggle room. AKA $84k. In my mind, I am spending 84k which may be super close, but also makes my monthly payment only 700 vs 1100.

also, I want to change now (i can technically wait), but I really want something different. The F85 X5M sounds awesome, but i don't want to be a guinea pig either.

I'm not expecting the X5 to outperform the Macan Turbo in any way shape or form. But am I going to love the Macan Turbo less with baby + dog, or babies even + wife?

Or does the excitement of the Macan Turbo trump that?

This will be a daily driver, but then again, i don't drive far. I predominantly drive alone, but on weekends i don't, and we commute back to Long Island fairly often.

Again, a year from now, if I have a kid, will i regret the macan? I have no idea, and I need you awesome bimmerpost guys to fight for both sides for me, so I can more actively look at it from different perspectives.

It's amazing that at the point of me writing this, it's still split 50/50 on the polls.
I have 2 kids in an X3 and its perfectly fine. get the Macan man, stop the BS. It's sooo exclusive. If you had money for the X5M i would said that obv, if the x3 had 400hp stock I would say get that as well. Go and test drive both for as long as possible, take your wife and the dog. 84K is nothing is sneeze at, test drive these till you cant anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 05:40 PM   #10
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

You're not split 50/50 IMO. Size/space are not a concern for you so Macan it is!
Honestly, given no constraints about size/utility, I'd be hard-pressed to turn down ANY turbo'd P-Car!!!
      01-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #11
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster
You're not split 50/50 IMO. Size/space are not a concern for you so Macan it is!
Honestly, given no constraints about size/utility, I'd be hard-pressed to turn down ANY turbo'd P-Car!!!
Thank you^^
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #12
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

I was going to get the Macan Turbo, but I ended up with the X5 50i. I'm very happy and here's why:

While the extra cabin space is great for you and your passengers, there's a lot more to the X5. It is more comfortable, has a super quiet interior, and definitely is on par with the Macan luxury. The exterior styling is very different than the old E70. People always compliment my 50i. My cousin, a huge vehicle enthusiast, who has driven Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos, GT500s and has owned american muscle to german performance vehicles, loves my X5. He was utterly shocked (like me) when he first drove and felt how fast it was. Also, BMWs can be modded beyond belief with chips, coding, retrofits, etc. There is no forum like the BMW forum as well (you yourself noted this). I do recommend DHP because you definitely want that tighter handling and flatness in corners in Sport mode. Eco Pro mode is also great and will save you gas. If you chip it like me, you will be in M territory.

In my humble opinion, you should go for the X5 50i. You won't be disappointed. Both are fantastic vehicles in their own right. Just drive them and compare as much as possible in person .

Last edited by opasha; 01-13-2015 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #13
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeloveteeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I'm assuming given the forum you're posting in you're referring to is an X5. You're comparing two different animals here, the Macan is much smaller. So do you want more space or smaller, faster (I'm assuming from your build price the X5 is a 35i not 50) and more nimble....?
I'm aware of the size difference. if the X3/X4 offered the 5.0 engine, I would be all over it.

I just simply want what's the best deal/speed for price.

That MSRP comes out to 90k for the X5, not sure why you think that's a 35i.

With regards to where I am posting it. I think there is more objectivity on the bimmerpost site than on the macan forums. Also everyone has been significantly more helpful.
Looked at the base price not total, sorry. And I meant posting in X5 forum vs X4 or X3... You didn't specify what it was, so I was just clarifying what I thought was a safe assumption. But there are plenty of posts on here occasionally in the wrong forum..

EDIT: was on my phone before and couldn't see the vote buttons, where X5 5Oi is clearly spelled out

Wasn't implying you weren't aware of the size difference, just saying that is the single biggest difference. Most people get into a car and either like the size or don't, so I was just saying answer that question for yourself first. The Macan will be more nimble and with the turbo, I'm assuming faster. But both will be fun, for SUVs. To me, when you're spending 83k or 90, the dollars shouldn't even be a factor. Thus my simple, big or small question....

As far as deal for the price, that likely depends on whether you're leasing or buying. Sounds like the Macan is rightfully cheaper, but BMW may offer better discounts to close that gap, and almost certainly leases better. I wouldn't be surprised to see the X5 lease as well or better despite the $7k price difference.

Last edited by chrisny; 01-12-2015 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2015, 06:31 PM   #14
c3uo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

I love my X5, and found our X3 35i M Sport to tiring to drive on long road trips, whereas the X5 is extremely comfortable and quiet.

That said, if you drive a GT-R today, and don't crave a great highway cruiser, get a Macan. They are different. The Macan is a great cut and thrust city sports car that has hatchback space. The X5 is an awesome, sporty, quiet, luxurious, SUV.
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #15
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
I'm with opasha to be honest, the things you can do with the BMW (code, chip, retrofit, etc) almost anything u want is possible.

My friend upgraded from 13' 550XI to F15 35i and the reason why?
He's saving on Gas, he got the MPPK tune + performance exhaust, u see it, hear it, or drive it you will think its a V8.
I don't know how long you're keeping it, but if you plan to keep it for long F15 for me.

So like pasha said, the F15 50i is just sooo fast, plus with his chip its even faster.

Sure the Macan is more exclusive, not too much as time goes by I've seen about 5 in the last month (NJ-NYC).

But at the end of the day, test-drive till as much as you can.
I almost with the Benz GL-Diesel and Audi Q5 TDI , but test-drove and saw so many reviews on youtube I opted for my X3 M-Sport w/ DHP its def no F15 but in the small SUV category I feel quite exclusive as u barely see any X3 M-Sport (i've seen more Macans hahaha)

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      01-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #16
ocman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

If I had to stick with Porsche, for $83K i'd get 2013-2014 Cayenne GTS or a turbo with low mileages.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #17
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Not sure if you have driven each to determine feel.

OP stated:
1) speed similar: Turbo consistently hitting 4.3-4.5 while the larger X5 hits 4.5-4.7 consistently.
==> speed is important, wait for x5M

2)BUTTTTTTTT the Macan Turbo will clearly me more fun.
==> P
3) if the X3/X4 offered the 5.0 engine, I would be all over it.
==> indicates preference for smaller, hence P

4) I just simply want what's the best deal/speed for price.
==> size comparisons x3 with Macan, x5 with Cayenne, hence best deal is x5

5)I'm not expecting the X5 to outperform the Macan Turbo in any way shape or form.
==> preference to P

6) But am I going to love the Macan Turbo less with baby + dog, or babies even + wife?
==> preference for P with caveat for future potential situations

7) Or does the excitement of the Macan Turbo trump that?
==> P

8) This will be a daily driver, but then again, i don't drive far. I predominantly drive alone, but on weekends i don't, and we commute back to Long Island fairly often.
==> P as it is solo for 5 of 7 days

9)The F85 X5M sounds awesome, but i don't want to be a guinea pig either.
==> x5 2nd year, P & x5M are 1st yr. Hence x5

From my interpretation of what I perceive your wants are, go for P/Macan.
I believe you highly value fun, P should deliver being ( I assume) lower, smaller, lighter. I have not driven P.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 07:41 PM   #18
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Have you driven both? Get the one that excites you, and you're walking away from after the test drive while looking back at it

I've made the mistake before of buying "sensible" (Acura MDX), the "shiny new brand" (Range Rover Evoque), or going for the more "practical" (X5M vs X6M) choice and come to regret it every time. I'm "patiently" (!) waiting for my F86 X6M at the moment, and it's already driving me crazy.

If you're not excited by it, and doing it 'cos it makes more "sense" - don't spend silly money. If you're doing it cos the model you want is a few months out, have patience. If you're doing it cos you just *need* one or the other - then you made your own decision
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #19
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Guys if the OP specifically said he doesn't care about space or size why do you keep insisting how big and roomy the X5 is. I've owned the brand-new 2012 X535D with the adaptive suspension package, thing was a beast I had it chipped, very fast I couldn't believe how well it handled and I'm sure the new X5 is 20% better. But the Macan is so exclusive and somewhat practical for his needs, this is a non-debate issue. Going on a "long" road trip, 300 miles or less. The Macan will be just perfect. Any longer I would rent something bigger of course. Opasha will stick with his SUVs because that's his heart his passion, no offense obviously. But like I said prior just test drive them long enough until your decision is made our opinions are useless (sometimes) when people are very indecisive.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 08:10 PM   #20
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

IMHO, buying a car is less about logic than it is about how it appeals to our raw emotions. If your heart tells you Macan, and the wife says yes (IMHO, Her Majesty's opinion is to be highly valued - because nothing is worse than a naggy nag seated next to you on a seat that doesn't have the passenger eject function ) - I say go for it, and put yourself out of your misery

I can understand why some of the good folks here were wondering about your Macan vs X5 comparison - the Cayenne would be more of a "logical" X5 competitor, but as per my first paragraph, a car purchase has long been more about how the heart rules, as opposed to how the head thinks.

If it were any way different, we'd all be driving Priuses and Lexuses now, wouldn't we?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 08:25 PM   #21
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
Have you driven both? Get the one that excites you, and you're walking away from after the test drive while looking back at it

I've made the mistake before of buying "sensible" (Acura MDX), the "shiny new brand" (Range Rover Evoque), or going for the more "practical" (X5M vs X6M) choice and come to regret it every time. I'm "patiently" (!) waiting for my F86 X6M at the moment, and it's already driving me crazy.

If you're not excited by it, and doing it 'cos it makes more "sense" - don't spend silly money. If you're doing it cos the model you want is a few months out, have patience. If you're doing it cos you just *need* one or the other - then you made your own decision
For me, interestingly, the Macan made more sense. I wanted a smaller car than my E71. Check. It was fun to drive (if I put a lot of junk in it -- torque vectoring ain't free from Porsche either!). Check. The interior is upscale nice. Check.

What swung me over to the X6 again was the tech. Porsche tech seems to be at least a generation behind everyone else and two generations behind BMW. And it's like they're oblivious to it (or the dude I worked with thought I was too stupid to notice); I was told that voice command of a nav was old technology and everyone was moving away from that. Excuse me?!

I get just as much enjoyment out of an awesome interface with a nav, my phone, ipad, and iPod as I do out of driving the car. Also, being able to set up my car in a custom, and easy fashion is a point I consider. So for me, the tech can take a car out of the running. Porsche, RR, Audi, and Tesla all failed on the tech aspect. Yes, even Tesla.

If you are a person that values the driving characteristics above all else, then the Macan is probably the right choice. If the choice depends on a mix of all the things a car has to offer, then I think that the balance would swing to the X5.

AND, if you're going for rarity, there are less X6s on the road in the US than Macans. Soooo, you know...
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2015, 08:25 PM   #22
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

To be honest, I wasn't even going to voice my stance and wanted to refer him to twinturboman who loves his new Macan Turbo. The only reason I didn't was because he had the 35d and faced many issues unfortunately due to dealer error: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=818715. You can ask his opinion. The best advice everyone including myself can agree on is to drive both and buy the one your heart tells because you will drive it every day and look at it (being your new car/baby/toy) every day. You don't want any regrets. I did mention space, but it wasn't the only thing I said .