BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-15-2015, 08:16 AM   #1
CalgaryAndUK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 650 640D

Beware BMW Canada Problems

So my 2-DAY-OLD $92,000 2015 X5 had an engine malfunction that required it going into the dealership for 6 days. During that time I was given a loaner vehicle (a base spec 3-Series). The dealer lives 200km away, and I live in the snowy Canadian Rockies. I don't think I was treated at all right for someone who has a problem with a 2-day old vehicle that puts it out of service. I called BMW Canada on this to see what they say. They inform me that:
1) BMW Canada has no policy for loaner vehicles - the dealership DOES NOT have to provide alternative means of transportation, no matter how long your car is off the road
2) BMW Canada will give no compensation, despite the car being 2-days old and I had to take two days off from work (one to take car in and wait around, and second one to pick it up and meet with dealership manager) as the dealership is 200km away from me in Calgary.
3) The fact that my $92,000 vehicle was replaced with a $30,000 vehicle, despite my car being just ONE WEEK OLD, does not make me in any a compensation case.
4) No ex-gratia payment or goodwill gesture will be extended.

I thought it is important for everyone to understand this. It amazes and disgusts me that they can get away with this. The car went wrong on DAY 2, and it is me who has had to do much of the work to sort this error. The customer is inconvenienced a LOT, and there is nothing they can do about it.

Please all - share this posting etc so that others who buy a car from BMW Canada understand what they are buying into - this brand does not care for its customers. FYI this was my 11th BMW purchase. Time to give Mercedes a try next time.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 05:46 AM   #2
invisigoth
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M50d, 2016 M135i LCI

Try posting your story on their Facebook page
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 05:57 AM   #3
Babs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I completely agree with invisigoth. Post to their Facebook page and also Twitter. This is no way to treat a loyal customer. 11th BMW? Wow. I will be calling the CEO of BMW Canada kicking and screaming. I will advise you take this to the top. Get the name of the owner of the BMW dealership you bought from and not some low or middle level guy. Explain what happened in a calm voice and let them know this will be your last BMW if nothing reasonable is done.
I am sure if you had a 4 year old BMW in for service, the sales guy will ensure you get the fully loaded loaner so that they can earn your business and convince you to buy a new one. Totally unacceptable behaviour in my honest opinion. I know they will try to quote the fine print, but a very senior guy will understand that the optics look bad for BMW on this one.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAndUK View Post
So my 2-DAY-OLD $92,000 2015 X5 had an engine malfunction that required it going into the dealership for 6 days. During that time I was given a loaner vehicle (a base spec 3-Series). The dealer lives 200km away, and I live in the snowy Canadian Rockies. I don't think I was treated at all right for someone who has a problem with a 2-day old vehicle that puts it out of service. I called BMW Canada on this to see what they say. They inform me that:
1) BMW Canada has no policy for loaner vehicles - the dealership DOES NOT have to provide alternative means of transportation, no matter how long your car is off the road
2) BMW Canada will give no compensation, despite the car being 2-days old and I had to take two days off from work (one to take car in and wait around, and second one to pick it up and meet with dealership manager) as the dealership is 200km away from me in Calgary.
3) The fact that my $92,000 vehicle was replaced with a $30,000 vehicle, despite my car being just ONE WEEK OLD, does not make me in any a compensation case.
4) No ex-gratia payment or goodwill gesture will be extended.

I thought it is important for everyone to understand this. It amazes and disgusts me that they can get away with this. The car went wrong on DAY 2, and it is me who has had to do much of the work to sort this error. The customer is inconvenienced a LOT, and there is nothing they can do about it.

Please all - share this posting etc so that others who buy a car from BMW Canada understand what they are buying into - this brand does not care for its customers. FYI this was my 11th BMW purchase. Time to give Mercedes a try next time.
My X5 spent over 5 weeks (on and off) at the dealer within the first 6 months, which was extremely frustrating given how much $ it cost. I bought it to drive it!

We resorted to writing a formal letter to the owner of the dealership who pointed us to the customer relations manager. He in turn escalated our case to BMW Canada and we did end up getting some (small) compensation for our troubles and inconvenience. Give that you are a long time BMW owner you may already know all this but I thought I'd mention it. I would also recommend that you keep track of all your issues, dates and days in the shop as well as any communication with the dealer. It will come handy if you have to continue escalating to BMW Canada, although I suggest that you go through your dealership rather than directly. It worked for us.

Good luck, I feel your pain.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #5
CalgaryAndUK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 650 640D

Many thanks everyone for your responses. Will take the advice and also glad to hear i'm not just acting like a spoilt brat.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #6
Mhnd198502
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

You should feel "lucky" you got a 3 series. They gave me a Kia Rondo )
Antenna quit working after 3 months so no radio for me. They fixed that.
The steering wheel on my x5 became squeaky after 5 months. They changed a spring and ever since the car pulls to the right. Every time i hit a pothole the steering wheel turns to the right 4-5``. They had the car for 3 more days...problem still there, but hey...they did something....they scratched my rim. I`m going back one of these days and i`m gonna park it inside their showroom.
My 10 years old 530i drives much better than this crappy x5.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #7
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Does not sound right. If you go the letter route, normally one writes one level at a time or go to the top. BMW Canada, Eduardo Villaverde as president and CEO. (originally posted by Bobblehead)
http://www.autofile.ca/News/1167/New...for-BMW-Canada
Appreciate 0