01-29-2015, 11:28 PM   #23
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
hyde , maybe NPickles is right. Once the warning is on, the rear washer will stop spraying. It could be a safety reason also, since you will need the front windshield to be clean more than the rear glass.
I filed it up to the top, warning is not going away. We'll report back after driving and hoping that will help settle the fluid but I doubt it.
      01-30-2015, 12:04 AM   #24
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde
Quote:
hyde , maybe NPickles is right. Once the warning is on, the rear washer will stop spraying. It could be a safety reason also, since you will need the front windshield to be clean more than the rear glass.
I filed it up to the top, warning is not going away. We'll report back after driving and hoping that will help settle the fluid but I doubt it.
Hmm, in that case, sounds like you are having a bad level sensor.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #25
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, in that case, sounds like you are having a bad level sensor.
Drove to work and rear is now spraying just fine, but I still have low fluid warning on dash.
      01-30-2015, 08:53 PM   #26
ingenieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

This is an ultrasonic level sensor system - there are some fluids - RainX orange for sure which affect the echo reading to the FEM and cause the low fluid warning. I scoped the signal last winter which proved this and have had no problems since going back to the BMW fluid.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2015, 11:46 PM   #27
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenieur View Post
This is an ultrasonic level sensor system - there are some fluids - RainX orange for sure which affect the echo reading to the FEM and cause the low fluid warning. I scoped the signal last winter which proved this and have had no problems since going back to the BMW fluid.
How convenient... Them putting a weird sensor in there that malfunctions when you use a superior product that is not marketed by the car maker. I would very much rather take it in to the service and let them waste their time and bill BMW back for just to drain it and replace it with BMW fluid, something that is impossible for driver to obtain when he runs out of washer fluid following a nasty storm.
      01-31-2015, 02:33 PM   #28
ingenieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

I believe is a component in the fluid coating the sensor and affecting the signal from what I saw. I don't really want that RainX stuff on my windows and paint anyway.
Just use an regular alcohol fluid with a good freeze rating - some of the 'blue' stuff sold cheap everywhere froze last winter as well.
I found buying the BMW concentrate and mixing my own to work best.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 04:02 PM   #29
SUV55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

The BMW fluid when sprayed to clean the windows produces a very strong smell in the cabin. Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 12:21 AM   #30
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV55 View Post
The BMW fluid when sprayed to clean the windows produces a very strong smell in the cabin. Is this normal?
Yes, that smell is gone ever since I went with Rain-X Orange (2-in-1) but now I have a washer fluid warning despite near 2 gallons of being put in there. BMW fluid really smells terrible like nail polish & nail polish remover mixed.
      02-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #31
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

Got any update on this warning light? Just curious.

Btw, with this snowy and slushy roads, I guess ppl will be happy that headlight washers are working automatically...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #32
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by retx View Post
Got any update on this warning light? Just curious.

Btw, with this snowy and slushy roads, I guess ppl will be happy that headlight washers are working automatically...

It's back again, I am just waiting for this batch of fluid to finish, then I will stop by the dealer have them top it off with BMW fluid to see if the culprit is really in fact Rain-X. BMW might be up to something with their pungent fluid, maybe the others area really not dense enough to float that sensor?
      02-17-2015, 08:48 PM   #33
retx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F15 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
It's back again, I am just waiting for this batch of fluid to finish, then I will stop by the dealer have them top it off with BMW fluid to see if the culprit is really in fact Rain-X. BMW might be up to something with their pungent fluid, maybe the others area really not dense enough to float that sensor?
Possible. There may be a reason of why BMW sticks with that stinky liquid solution.

Well, with the snowy conditions we have, you will soon to finish that tank of fluid.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:47 PM   #34
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

Just went thru this myself and here is my report. Bought the new X5 in October and purchased a case of Rain X Orange Solvent. I kept getting the Low Fluid Message and the rear wiper would not spray solvent. Read this thread and completely emptied the reservoir by continually running the wipers. Took a couple of days and a couple of car washes. I purchased a gallon of the blue stuff at the gas station and instantly the message went away and the rear wiper washer started working. Anybody want to buy some Rain X ??
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:33 PM   #35
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bak View Post
Just went thru this myself and here is my report. Bought the new X5 in October and purchased a case of Rain X Orange Solvent. I kept getting the Low Fluid Message and the rear wiper would not spray solvent. Read this thread and completely emptied the reservoir by continually running the wipers. Took a couple of days and a couple of car washes. I purchased a gallon of the blue stuff at the gas station and instantly the message went away and the rear wiper washer started working. Anybody want to buy some Rain X ??

How much Rain X did you dump in there? I dumped almost 2 gallons, it's going to be a LOOOONG time before it runs out. I think it doesn't wash the headlights either since it thinks there is not enough washer.

I am going to spray the tank empty and get a bottle of blue stuff.
PS: There are several blue stuff, which one exactly did you buy, let me try the exact same thing.

"Couple of day, couple of car washes"? How often do you wash your car?
      02-18-2015, 08:24 AM   #36
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

I got the low washer indicator and added one gallon of the "Blue Stuff" that I bought at the grocery store. It was good for -20F - seems to be working fine for the last two weeks
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #37
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
How much Rain X did you dump in there? I dumped almost 2 gallons, it's going to be a LOOOONG time before it runs out. I think it doesn't wash the headlights either since it thinks there is not enough washer.

I am going to spray the tank empty and get a bottle of blue stuff.
PS: There are several blue stuff, which one exactly did you buy, let me try the exact same thing.

"Couple of day, couple of car washes"? How often do you wash your car?
Hyde,
I did the same thing you did and topped off rain X, I just kept spraying the windshield until the sprayer stopped. There must be a limit to keep the pump from overheating because it would stop and I would have to wait a few minutes to re-spray. I noticed my headlights would not wash also, it must act like the rear washer when low it prioritzes windshield. As for the car washes....its Michigan and its been snowing so every couple of days I wash the car. Oh and I am not sure the brand of the blue stuff, it was nothing special, whatever was at the gas station. Of course I dumped the entire bottle in and pitched the empty container. Good Luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #38
Deneriuss
Semper Fidelis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xDrive40i

I had an issue with mine from day one. it was low and I got the warning, so I stopped and put in some RainX orange in it, cause it is usually what I use in most of my vehicles and never had any issues. well needless to say that I took it to the the dealer and that they told me that the sensor was damaged and the bottles was partially disintegrated. They said that the RainX when mixed with what was in there from the factory cause the issue and destroyed it. So they replaced it all and got it fixed and said do not use rainx, either way an odd thing, but there you go.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #39
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bak View Post
Hyde,
I did the same thing you did and topped off rain X, I just kept spraying the windshield until the sprayer stopped. There must be a limit to keep the pump from overheating because it would stop and I would have to wait a few minutes to re-spray. I noticed my headlights would not wash also, it must act like the rear washer when low it prioritzes windshield. As for the car washes....its Michigan and its been snowing so every couple of days I wash the car. Oh and I am not sure the brand of the blue stuff, it was nothing special, whatever was at the gas station. Of course I dumped the entire bottle in and pitched the empty container. Good Luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks! That's great if you can find a good place to get her washed, I got nothing around here. I bet it must be colder up in Michigan, so maybe indoor/warm water wash places are more common. Once I find a place nearby I am getting her washed more frequently as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstbd03 View Post
I had an issue with mine from day one. it was low and I got the warning, so I stopped and put in some RainX orange in it, cause it is usually what I use in most of my vehicles and never had any issues. well needless to say that I took it to the the dealer and that they told me that the sensor was damaged and the bottles was partially disintegrated. They said that the RainX when mixed with what was in there from the factory cause the issue and destroyed it. So they replaced it all and got it fixed and said do not use rainx, either way an odd thing, but there you go.
That sounds like their washer fluid is the culprit and not rain-x. Unless they specifically say do not use Rain-X with a sticker on top of the tank, everyone is just going to buy whatever is convenient and dump it in there. The sensor comes and goes, so it is not completely damaged. I am definitely going to try the blue stuff before I take it in for service.
      02-18-2015, 02:06 PM   #40
millz
Rep
Drives: 2015 - x5 35d

Hey Guys,

Haven't been on for a while, I had posted an exact same issue maybe a month ago. So I had the same issue I start the car and I get the warning that windshield level is low so I decide to buy some windshield water from the local store can't remember the brand and fill it right to the top start the car and the warning is there. I'm also someone who hates any type of warning or error message on anything, this thing was driving me nuts. So I also encountered when the warning comes on I can not spray in the rear but I could do so before the warning comes on. After 2 days of trying to fix it and filling up the windshield water I took it to the dealer, they called me back saying the sensor to the back of the vehicle was frozen and they had to replace - not sure if thats what they did or something else but its been working ever since I took it in.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #41
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
smh i been using rainx for years and never had any problems with it..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 12:54 PM   #42
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

hyde

I have the same exact issue at the very beginning, way before I used RainX as my washer fluid.

It has somehow gone away this winter but last winter I kept receiving the Low Warning even when my reservoir is full.

I suspect the OEM fluid may have been freezing or causing issues internally. Been using Rain X for over a year now without any issues.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 02:34 PM   #43
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
hyde

I have the same exact issue at the very beginning, way before I used RainX as my washer fluid.

It has somehow gone away this winter but last winter I kept receiving the Low Warning even when my reservoir is full.

I suspect the OEM fluid may have been freezing or causing issues internally. Been using Rain X for over a year now without any issues.

Hope that helps
This is exact opposite of what we've been hearing. I am not sure if Rain-X suddenly caused the OEM fluid to lose it's antifreeze point and cause freezing or if there is any other reason. It's not a major problem but it's extremely annoying and of course it's a hazard if the rear glass is very dirty and I need it sprayed.
      02-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #44
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

Mine did that after i filled an empty tank with one gallon. After i topped it off the warning went off. I had to fill it to the top though which was strange to get the warning to go away.
Appreciate 0