BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #45
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive30dGeorge View Post
about to order my new x30d here in the UK. have picked almost all the options, but one thing that annoys me is whether i should take the Adaptive Comfort Suspension or if it will be a waste.

I test drove the standard suspension today at the local dealer. Though not the greatest (I am coming from a 2007 330d which has a super stiff suspension), I was quite happy with the feel of the drive. Will the Adaptive Comfort give me a much better ride quality or is it only marginal over the standard?

Can anyone help me understand how these suspension options will be selected in the car itself? Generally, I tend to find myself not using too much certain features that are either difficult to get to or is quite painful to setup. So with the adaptive suspension, if getting the right setting involves many settings thru the drive controller each time, then I will skip it. Any help from someone how has either of the adaptive suspension systems already fitted?

Thanks a ton. This will be my first brand new BMW (always had hand me downs or used cars before), so super excited.
Hi 'george'. I too was concerned about the suspension, coming from my current 3D SE E70 and test drove the 3D M Sport and was REALLY impressed with the way the car handled. I live in the country, LOTS of pot holes etc so drove the test car over as many as possible and it was fine. Not at all like my current SE or the old M Sport. So I ordered w/o the ACS and saved myself a few bob but spent it on other options instead

PS Its due to be delivered Easter weekend...can't wait
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #46
xDrive30dGeorge
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d SE 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive30dGeorge View Post
about to order my new x30d here in the UK. have picked almost all the options, but one thing that annoys me is whether i should take the Adaptive Comfort Suspension or if it will be a waste.

I test drove the standard suspension today at the local dealer. Though not the greatest (I am coming from a 2007 330d which has a super stiff suspension), I was quite happy with the feel of the drive. Will the Adaptive Comfort give me a much better ride quality or is it only marginal over the standard?

Can anyone help me understand how these suspension options will be selected in the car itself? Generally, I tend to find myself not using too much certain features that are either difficult to get to or is quite painful to setup. So with the adaptive suspension, if getting the right setting involves many settings thru the drive controller each time, then I will skip it. Any help from someone how has either of the adaptive suspension systems already fitted?

Thanks a ton. This will be my first brand new BMW (always had hand me downs or used cars before), so super excited.
Hi 'george'. I too was concerned about the suspension, coming from my current 3D SE E70 and test drove the 3D M Sport and was REALLY impressed with the way the car handled. I live in the country, LOTS of pot holes etc so drove the test car over as many as possible and it was fine. Not at all like my current SE or the old M Sport. So I ordered w/o the ACS and saved myself a few bob but spent it on other options instead

PS Its due to be delivered Easter weekend...can't wait
Excellent. I did the same and splashed out on the other options.

Waiting to read your review. Mine should be here mid May, a few weeks after yours
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #47
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Hi Mike, if you test drove the m sport, then the car had adaptive m sport suspension with dynamic dampers, very similar to the comfort suspension setup, so not really a fair comparison with the SE on steel springs.

Last edited by archivedaccount; 02-28-2014 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 06:30 AM   #48
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Hi Mike, if you test drove the m sport, then the car had adaptive m sport suspension with dynamic dampers, very similar to the comfort suspension setup, so not really a fair comparison with the SE on steel springs.
Hi Paul.

Its true what you say..I guess I am coming from the last M Sport E70 I tried was so awful its the reason I bought the SE....I assume the E70 was steel springs too? I just hope I don't regret ordering the 20" tyres driving around the Cotswolds.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #49
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Yeah the E70 msport was worst case scenario unless you added adaptive drive.

Ironically the F15 SE on 20" wheels and steel springs, is probably also now worst case scenario re ride quality, as highlighted in the chart. That said, I test drove a stock SE on 20's and it was fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #50
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Yeah the E70 msport was worst case scenario unless you added adaptive drive.

Ironically the F15 SE on 20" wheels and steel springs, is probably also now worst case scenario re ride quality, as highlighted in the chart. That said, I test drove a stock SE on 20's and it was fine.
Glad I ordered the M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #51
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

Sorry guys to belabor the discussion, but I'm about to order an x5. Like others have pointed out if you start by selecting an m sport package, then dynamic handling PACKAGE for $3600 the OPTION for dynamic dampners and rear suspension isn't available.

Is it automatically included like another user suggested?

Thanks

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #52
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2014

Yes, it's included. Dynamic handling package is $4500.. $3600 for dhp and $900 for adaptive m suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #53
xDrive30dGeorge
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5x2 View Post
I have a 3.0d on order with adaptive comfort suspension and 7 seats (reducing cost of suspension by a 1/3)...
Is this documented anywhere? I checked with my dealer today and he showed me their ordering system on which it still shows 1495 for the suspension option. I asked him about it and he said he hasn't heard of it anywhere. Want something to show him.

I'm starting to get a serious case of the options creep.. Already made 2 changes to my order adding more options..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #54
x5x2
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Garage List
if you order comfort suspension 3rd row drops from £1410 to £990
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:24 PM   #55
xDrive30dGeorge
Enlisted Member
Rep

Awesome thanks.. I feel another change coming to my order. Adaptive Comfort Suspension is gonna be added tomorrow morning first thing.

I have a strange feeling BMW deliberately keep the order to build times so long, so folks like me who start with a sensible list of options end up adding every single available option to the order by the time its actually built.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2014, 06:27 AM   #56
soupratt
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 520d

I just got the MSport 30d (35d) with the 2VF suspension (air in the rear because of the 3rd row) and it is fantastic. Not harsh at all on 20" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #57
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

UK X5 M Sport With 2VF

Looking at my order I see that I've got 2VF (Adaptive M suspension) at no cost though no 3rd row seating.

Is this because I have options:
  • 3AC (Towbar, fully electric) and
  • 233 (Towing capacity, increased)?
      03-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #58
Baunton
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggo View Post
Looking at my order I see that I've got 2VF (Adaptive M suspension) at no cost though no 3rd row seating.

Is this because I have options:
  • 3AC (Towbar, fully electric) and
  • 233 (Towing capacity, increased)?
Its on my order and I have no 3rd row so is standard on M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #59
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Its on my order and I have no 3rd row so is standard on M Sport
Cor - something us Brits get for free...
      03-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #60
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3 View Post
Yea I have the standard suspension and my dog, who spends most of his time in the back, has, for the first time, gotten sick on a road trip. Never had an issue in my X3s, or even M3 with EDC.

Avoid the stock suspension.
Did anyone else experience it? I did not order DDC or rear air suspension, but I guess can make changes if this was really a big issue for majority.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #61
bim_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovan View Post
Did anyone else experience it? I did not order DDC or rear air suspension, but I guess can make changes if this was really a big issue for majority.
Rear air suspension was standard feature in our last x5. When I test-drove the 35I x-line, it did not have it and noticed the back was bouncing around a bit. In my order, I went for M pack and the adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #62
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bim_power View Post
Rear air suspension was standard feature in our last x5. When I test-drove the 35I x-line, it did not have it and noticed the back was bouncing around a bit. In my order, I went for M pack and the adaptive suspension.
Do you think air suspension will fix bouncing?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #63
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I would love to add DHP, but it is a bit above my budget limit. If 3rd row seat + rear axle air suspension or Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension won't address this problem I just order stock.
I already made my order and hope I can make changes within one or two days. I would really appreciate your responses as they may help me to decide on this critical change.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #64
bim_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovan View Post
Do you think air suspension will fix bouncing?
I couldn't go for the DHP either because was trying staying within $75K.

The rear air suspension will weight balance the vehicle, which I've found helpful when carrying a load. Plus I think it also provides a better comfort as the diagram depicted in post #1. This is probably why when you do add the 3rd row option, the air comes as part of that package.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #65
Scot04
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

I have come from a 40d SE with dynamic pack (including sports suspension similar to M Sport cars in the UK) and 20" wheels with Brigstone run flat tyres. The ride was poor and I was sorry that I didn't choose the no cost option of deleting the sport suspension. I do like the look of the 20" wheels as well.

My F15 M50d has adaptive dynamic suspension and 20" wheels with Pirelli run flat tyres and is much more comfortable and softer over bumps. I don't know how much more comfortable it is compared to a similar car without adaptive dynamic suspension but the active anti roll system is fantastic so I'm very happy - particularly as I didn't have the opportunity to drive the combination I wanted before ordering it.
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif
      09-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #66
simplemind38
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5

For what it's worth, I have a 2015 x35i M sport package on order, and I had to shell out $900 for 'Adaptive M Suspension' (2VF) as it did not come standard with the M sport package (337).
Appreciate 0