BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-30-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 X5 X35i

So, my 8 month old X5's iDrive computer conked out this week. In previous posts in the 'issues' section, I along with many other owners have noted that their iDrive system stops working intermittently and then the display shows 'no signal' before booting back up. I had taken in the truck for service on the system about two months ago and they updated the software and sent me on my way. Since then, I've put about 2,500 miles on it. In those 2.5k miles, I've had the iDrive reboot it's self maybe a 2-3 times. Not a big deal - but now it's another story.

This past Tuesday, as I was backing out of my parking spot in my condo's covered garage, the screen went black and the entertainment system fell silent. I assumed this would resolve it's self like other hiccups in the past. However, after 48+ hours the screen and controller were non-responsive to commands. The HUD was not displaying any iDrive controls, such as the Sirus radio stations as you scroll on the steering wheel or voice commands. I parked the car and sat in idle for about 15 minutes and attempted the old 'restart' method from previous models (hold mute button and eject for ~30sec), but to no avail. I did notice that the cd player sounded like it was trying to spin up and then it would stop. It would also periodically (every other minute) turn on static (like it was searching for a station on FM/AM) and then it would cut off. During this time the screen would cycle between 'no signal' and completely off.

[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...907/3r2mqn.jpg[/IMG]

I called into the BMW geniuses this morning and was told that there was likely something loose and that the computer wasn't sending a signal to the screen. I wasn't happy to hear that, but figured I'd schedule an appointment with my SA and try to get it sorted out. Luckily, they have a time available...in two weeks.

No entertainment for two weeks - what will a man do with his time on the road?

But that's not all. After doing a day-hike this evening, I started up the car and voila the iDrive system turned on and the screen began to work. BUT, all of my connected drive and satellite services were GONE. My computer appears to have been reverted back to factory settings of a base model. All of my profiles and settings have been wiped, as well. Im called back in to the BMW genius line and was told that my computer likely went through a 'full power-cycle' which should only have occurred if I had not driven the car for a few months (ie. went on a long vacation - or drive my other car during the summer months) but that's not the case here. He was worried about this being something much more 'intensive' and requiring parts and labor.

Long story short - iDrive shit the bed.

So, has anyone else had this happen? has anyone had their computer replaced?

Last edited by TortugaX5; 07-01-2016 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
Kessler35is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 50i, 2016 E89 35is

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [0.00]
2015 X5 50i  [0.00]
I have been getting the No Signal often. I got it 3 times one day in about 1 hour. It has always restarted after, but this has me worried..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessler35is
I have been getting the No Signal often. I got it 3 times one day in about 1 hour. It has always restarted after, but this has me worried..
I will post back after the vehicle has been serviced this next week. I anticipate a new computer installation, which I have no idea what that will do to the rest of the car. has anyone had any work done on the computer, do they have to remove a significant amount of paneling to access the hardware?

Hoping this won't introduce new rattles and noises.
      07-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep

What a cluster f**k!

This has been a real beaut of an experience, so far.

Here's the run down:

Monday 6/11

Brought in the vehicle for service to fix issues with the iDrive system. Also, the SA put the car in for it's first service at around 7,700 miles.

Tuesday 6/12

Go to pick up the car from the dealer after being given the A-OK from the SA that everything was all set. I arrive around 6pm and inspect the vehicle and notice almost immediately that the Navigation isn't activated. I've been told that they had to replace the head unit completely and that they must have forgot to activate the nav and would keep another night. At this point, I was miffed but not upset. I calmly took my loaner off the lot and headed home.

Wednesday 6/13

I received a call this morning from my SA, that they got the nav working and could of had me pick it up last night but didn't want me to drive back out. I thought, well that's nice... I left the office for lunch and went to the dealer to pick up the car. I pick up my keys and get in the car and again go through and check that all is working before driving off the lot. AGAIN, something is wrong. This time my sirius radio wasn't activated - only the preview channel. WTF!

So, I've refused the car now a second time and am awaiting the GM's call. I remember seeing a post called "dealer incompetence" I think that speaks volumes about this experience.

Here's my beef! After looking over the tech's notes, they stated that the car was road tested 35 miles after installation - with no hiccups. Are you telling me that in 35 miles of driving the tech didn't notice that the navigation didn't start up or that the radio wasn't working?

Color me displeased!

Last edited by TortugaX5; 07-14-2016 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
qocerhuang
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 50i

It only happened to me once last week when I drive the car since 2014. It automatic restart.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #6
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep

I got the car back last night and they finally seem to have everything working again. Turns out that when they reinstalled the new head unit and programmed it with the ESN number it didn't save into the memory and reverted back to factory setting when it went to sleep. When they brought it back into fix the Nav, the same thing happened and it reset to factory the second time I came to pick up.

I'm hoping this fixes the problems that I've been having with the display showing no signal and rebooting so frequently.

The dealer did comp me a free detailing. I'm not sure if that's a gift or a curse for the paint...

Thoughts?

EDIT:

I did get to test out two loaners during this experience. First was a base X3 28i with leatherette. It was really eye opening to see the contrast in quality on the interior. It was pretty slow compared to other X3 models I've tested in the past. The next loaner I had was actually a lot of fun. A 428i Grand Coupe M Sport. It was pretty loaded with HK sound, multicountor seats, M steering wheel. It drove like a coupe and was really a good looking car. Carbon Black Metallic, too.

Last edited by TortugaX5; 07-15-2016 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Haha... I would say a curse... I would never, ever let any dealer wash and detail my car. Even when I placed the order on my car, I specifically told my SA not to prep it and to leave it alone. They did remove the white protective film though. I've had my shares of scratches forming from people who don't care about their job.

My trips to get an oil change, I always put a sign on my window that reads "NO WASH" as well
Attached Images