06-28-2016, 05:39 AM   #23
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnhappySwede View Post
There's nothing wrong with the 25d however, I've got it too and its updated to 231hp these Days. Never lacking power, runs much smoother than the 30d. Im not sure I would go with the bigger Engines even if I got it for free.
Hi there,

I know, this is a bit Off-topic, but your last sentence here caught my eyes.
The 25d runs smoother than the 30d? Is that remotely possible...?

Can you please share a few more thoughts about this.
It's just interesting.

All best,
Bent
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 07:05 AM   #24
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 -2016

Yes, it makes sense when you think about it. The 30d is a 3 litre 6 cylinder engine with alot of motion going on. The 25d is only 2 litre with 4 cylinders, and I read an article where BMW said they found this combination to be the best combination between efficency and smoothness.

IMO, the 30d sounds and feels like tractor engine. It roars when you push it and its felt everywhere in the car. The updated 25d is silk smooth and drives almost like a electric car. I never know when its turned on when idling. Its so smooth that the sound from it when accelerating is actually fake and coming from the speakers.

There is a noticable difference in torque vs the 30d, but I dont ever feel it lacking strength except maybe for speeds above 180 km/h on the Autobahn. But for Americans that are used to way bigger gasoline engines, it might be a different story. This one spoiled me so bad that I nowadays get annoyed by the harshness from other diesel engines. The days when you needed to rev small engines hard to get to the torque are behind us, thanks to modern dual-turbo engineering, and now its the bigger engines that vibrate instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 07:48 AM   #25
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
IMO, the 30d sounds and feels like tractor engine.
i agree 100%... it is the main factor that turned me off to that engine. the q7 3.0tdi is much quieter and smoother. <queue all the emissions scandal jokes>
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 09:12 AM   #26
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Yes, it makes sense when you think about it. The 30d is a 3 litre 6 cylinder engine with alot of motion going on. The 25d is only 2 litre with 4 cylinders, and I read an article where BMW said they found this combination to be the best combination between efficency and smoothness.

IMO, the 30d sounds and feels like tractor engine. It roars when you push it and its felt everywhere in the car. The updated 25d is silk smooth and drives almost like a electric car. I never know when its turned on when idling. Its so smooth that the sound from it when accelerating is actually fake and coming from the speakers.

There is a noticable difference in torque vs the 30d, but I dont ever feel it lacking strength except maybe for speeds above 180 km/h on the Autobahn. But for Americans that are used to way bigger gasoline engines, it might be a different story. This one spoiled me so bad that I nowadays get annoyed by the harshness from other diesel engines. The days when you needed to rev small engines hard to get to the torque are behind us, thanks to modern dual-turbo engineering, and now its the bigger engines that vibrate instead.

Many thanks, appreciated.
I understand what you mean now. I don't have much experience with the 30d, just test-drove it over two years ago before choosing the 25d.

I also feel no lack of power during normal driving and acceleration from 0 and up. Actually, quite good indeed for a 2 liter engine!!

What I could wish for would be a bit "longer stretch" of the torque at speeds like 110-120km/h and up to drive by slow cars a bit faster.
But again - how often is that with the roads we have here in Norway...haha.

Have a great week,

Best
Bent
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 09:23 AM   #27
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep

It should be noted that the 2016 engine is updated compared to previous versions. I think it got some 20 hp extra and I heard its much more quiet and calm now.

The Q7 30d is amazing. Even superior to BMW. But the rest of the car is miles behind, looks included.

Sorry for off topic btw...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 09:34 AM   #28
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I'll just leave this here...

06-28-2016, 09:38 AM   #29
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post

Is that a Melbourne Red X6? Very nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #30
IvanLZ
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post

Exactly my thought
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 10:21 AM   #31
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang

This.

This is the truth.
      06-28-2016, 12:03 PM   #32
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Is that a Melbourne Red X6? Very nice.
      06-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #33
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

In Holland BMW is a premium brand. Since car pricing is based on Co2 emission on top of VAT, it's quite an expensive car to drive. For a well equiped M50d, it's about 155.000 dollar. For the X5M, you pay about 210.000 dollar. The X5 is not a rare car, but If you look at the top engines, you won't see many. Buying an X5 in Holland is one thing, driving it is another. We have pretty high fuel rates (taxes again), and also we pay a montly price for using the road, based on weight. Since the X5 is a very heavy car compared to the other cars driving in Holland, you pay top dollar again. Insurrance is pretty high as well, due to the fact that the X5 get's stolen a lot. Next to the insurance you need a subscription on a anti-theft/recovery service, which is mandatory for the insurance company because of high value and it's a vehicel likely to be stolen... So, just looking at costs, it's a ridiculous car to drive, but looking at the fun factor...... :-)

Last edited by ikheetleon; 06-28-2016 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #34
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
In Holland BMW is a premium brand. Since car pricing is based on Co2 emission on top of VAT, it's quite an expensive car to drive. For a well equiped M50d, it's about 155.000 dollar. For the X5M, you pay about 210.000 dollar. The X5 is not a rare car, but If you look at the top engines, you won't see many. Buying an X5 in Holland is one thing, driving it is another. We have pretty high fuel rates (taxes again), and also we pay a montly price for using the road, based on weight. Since the X5 is a very heavy car compared to the other cars driving in Holland, you pay top dollar again. Insurrance is pretty high as well, due to the fact that the X5 get's stolen a lot. Next to the insurance you need a subscription on a anti-theft/recovery service, which is mandatory for the insurance company because of high value and it's a vehicel likely to be stolen... So, just looking at costs, it's a ridiculous car to drive, but looking at the fun factor...... :-)
My father's old 2014 F15 was a 30d, and it was still 122,000 Euros.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 04:21 PM   #35
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
For a well equiped M50d, it's about 155.000 dollar. For the X5M, you pay about 210.000 dollar.
Sounds like a bargain. The X5M starts at 330 000 USD in Denmark. No wonder we dont have danish members in this section.

Then there's European income taxes...and gas prices.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 07:31 AM   #36
samguan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Convertible

To lease a X5 $0 down in Canada runs you about $1200-$1600 a month depending on packages. Average home in Toronto now tops one million.

Think about it... Owning a million dollar home and putting down $1200 a month on car not including the expensive insurance in Ontario!!

Every country is different, USA and Canada are more or less similar.

Making $100K annual salary will net you around $5000 a month(high taxes).

One of my friends owns a BMW X6M in China, that car costs $350000 USD.

We're talking about true affordability here, not the two guys working at Walmart buying if they really want to. But I do know a lot of people are like that. For me, I can't let my quality of life slip because I want this car.

Last edited by samguan; 06-30-2016 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2016, 09:42 AM   #37
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
It should be noted that the 2016 engine is updated compared to previous versions. I think it got some 20 hp extra and I heard its much more quiet and calm now.
is that for ROW or NAR included? i can't find any information on this.

Quote:
The Q7 30d is amazing. Even superior to BMW. But the rest of the car is miles behind, looks included.
guessing you are referring to the new 4M Q7... E70 vs. 4L the Q7 wins hands down. F15 vs. 4L and the X5 wins without any issue or concern... F15 vs. 4M the X5 wins in looks but the 4M wins in tech and comfort (Despite the cost-cutting found all over the Q7 and limited options.)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 10:35 AM   #38
realsgy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Around Seattle, BMWs are dime a dozen. Any time you look around on a busy street or parking lot you can probably see 2-3 X5s. There are a lot of exotics too. This is happening at downtown my town every Saturday: http://www.exoticsat.com/gallery/ And people drive these cars daily, you see them on the road regularly.

Even though a lot of folks can afford nice cars, most people here can't drive here. The traffic is slow, people don't know how to take corners, blocking the left lane at 4 MPH over the speed limit, waiting long at stop signs even if there is no other car to be seen anywhere. Every time I visit another state, like California or Montana I wonder why WA drivers are such rookies - were cars introduced here only recently?

Last edited by realsgy; 06-30-2016 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: type
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #39
teodorjelev
Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: Mercedes AMG GT 53 4-door

Garage List
I do not know how to you is very thick prices!
Me in Bulgaria dealer of BMW make me an offer for X5M of price 129000$ which is a pretty low price!

X5M model with all kinds of extras that offer is priced at 166563$ and it is agreed price without discount!

Last edited by teodorjelev; 06-30-2016 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 11:56 AM   #40
UnhappySwede
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsgy View Post
This is happening at downtown my town every Saturday: http://www.exoticsat.com/gallery/ And people drive these cars daily, you see them on the road regularly.
If I were shown this five years ago, I would get all kinds of feelings going on and say that the meaning of my life was to eventually own one of these cars.

If I were shown this three years ago, I would say that I didn't even need a car ever again if I could just get my health back. It eventually sorted out, miraculously.

Today, I just feel nothing. It can be obtained and sustained, but I feel that I lack other things. Spare time. Challenges and intellectual stimulation. Exploring people and history. My work colleagues are on some kind of roadtrip/race with Porsches and Ferraris at this moment, driving hard all day and drinking on loud clubs all night. Some of these guys inherited wealth and gladly spends it. Others are regular, average salary workers who try to keep up. A few are self made, by honest work or by unhonest work and occationaly pure stealing.

I would rather be in the woods picking mushrooms.

I've had alot of people around me unexpecdely dying lately. None of them were too young but noone was too old either. All of them however, were working hard and happily saying "I'm just gonna do this for a little while more, and then I'm really slowing down the pace, at last!"

I'm putting out my boat for sale today aswell. No feelings left there either.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #41
coolidge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsgy View Post
Around Seattle, BMWs are dime a dozen. Any time you look around on a busy street or parking lot you can probably see 2-3 X5s. There are a lot of exotics too. This is happening at downtown my town every Saturday: http://www.exoticsat.com/gallery/ And people drive these cars daily, you see them on the road regularly.

Even though a lot of folks can afford nice cars, most people here can't drive here. The traffic is slow, people don't know how to take corners, blocking the left lane at 4 MPH over the speed limit, waiting long at stop signs even if there is no other car to be seen anywhere. Every time I visit another state, like California or Montana I wonder why WA drivers are such rookies - were cars introduced here only recently?
Instead of wasting $58 billion on a useless light rail system why don't they build a couple more freeways up there? Your traffic is a nightmare, literally 40 mile long stop and go traffic jams.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #42
realsgy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The car show I mentioned... look what showed up this Saturday
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #43
2016sx5
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I live in Texas, and here it's mostly women that drive X5s. My mother in law comments on my "cute little SUV" every time she sees it.
located in the more rural area. You see a couple others around.
Nobody has ever said a thing about my X5. Now the Corvette
or GMC 4x4 will get comments or questions. In Texas Truck is
king and what see mostly and with women drivers
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #44
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
In San Jose (Bay Area), I didn't see many X5s, which my friend said proves that it doesn't sell well. I've moved back to New York, and this car is dime a dozen.

Of course I always judge people on their cars. Most people I know do. Unfortunately a lot people my folks do business with are from Asia and they definitely care. When the new Range Rover came out, we had to get that. Asian people are more willing to work with you when you seem to do better than they are. This is also why there is an really expensive Q7 on order due to arrive this month, due to be one in the first batch of arrivals.
Appreciate 0