07-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #45
saleen556
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I'll just leave this here...

I absolutely love this. We would all be better off if we could learn from this.

We just picked up our X5 last week and don't think many even notice.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #46
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 xcomp/911 cab/RR LWB

Garage List
B  [0.00]
We got the x5 because it's big, safe, and drives somewhat like a car. It's the perfect car for my wife and I don't mind driving it on the weekends. I honestly don't care what the average joe thinks about what I'm driving. If the Ford Explorer offered the same overall package as the BMW I'd be driving that.

As for exclusivity the x5 is a dime a dozen in southwestern Connecticut. There are more late model x5s in my neighborhood then 3 series. So it doesn't exactly stand out. But who cares. We like it and that's what matters
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 08:18 PM   #47
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
We just picked up our X5 last week and don't think many even notice.
when i drive around in a true m product or s/rs vehicle nobody ever takes a second glance unless it's another enthusiast... majority of the people out there really don't give a sh!t or look past the badge. so whether you have a base or the most expensive in that model majority wouldn't tell the difference or even care.

i remove all the badging except the make and people ask me why i would remove the badge from such and such vehicle... my response is always "i know what i purchased, i don't need reminder of how much money i wasted on it."

buy what you like, drive it, enjoy it and when the novelty wears off rinse lather repeat.
Appreciate 2
      07-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #48
chango335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 35i Luxury, C450 AMG

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samguan View Post
Just a friendly discussion and let's be honest here as many BMW owners are not only after the ultimate driving experience but street perception as well. I notice many owners really care when the next LCI or refresh is coming out render their rides outdated.

You know when you see a 7 series, hmmm, this guy should have some $$$ or is some executive. You see this guy in a Bentley, you feel like he is loaded.

I think in my city(Toronto) where you see a car over 100K every few minutes, X5 is almost everywhere, you see a lot of them every day. The special feeling is definitely on the low side. When I see them, I see a family with decent income, middle class.

A well equipped X5 is close to 100K dollars here after taxes and fees.
I honestly could care less about what people think of the cars I drive. Yes, there are a lot of X5's, Range Rovers, GL's, Porsche Cayenne's, Audi Q7's around Toronto, but it doesn't make me feel any less special. As long as my wife and daughter are sitting in a comfortable and extremely safe ride, then thats all that matters.
      07-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #49
Pastor Passum
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5xdrive

In my CITY!

The nearest CITY to me is approximately 100 miles away. The first thing I do, each and every time the X5 is started, is get it dirty. I live 2 miles up a poorly maintained dirt road. So probably the perception is, why doesn't he wash that dirty thing. I do but it's just for me. Unless it's Winter and the road is frozen over or it rained the day before and it's somewhere between muddy and dusty, it's going to be dirty before anyone else sees it.
I drive it because I've ridden BMW motorcycles for years, about 300,000 miles, and appreciate the engineering and quality that BMW puts into their products. I could really care less about what the perception is of someone I don't even know. It's all about how I feel driving it.
      07-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #50
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
when i drive around in a true m product or s/rs vehicle nobody ever takes a second glance unless it's another enthusiast... majority of the people out there really don't give a sh!t or look past the badge. so whether you have a base or the most expensive in that model majority wouldn't tell the difference or even care.
Agreed. Same story here, the areas where I work...it could be a 3 series or a 7 series, it's all the same to most people, they're just looking at the badge.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #51
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

exactly... there are people in the area who have a base 3series that costs about the same as a camry or accord and most people just think it's a "fancy bmw". same with that evoque POS. people think it's a "rich girl's suv" meanwhile it's as cheap as chips for an RR product.
Appreciate 0