First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Racechip vs. Burger JBD for 35d

Greetings -

I have seen threads on both of these tunes, but no one that has compared them head to head.

Racechip Ultimate claims to increase hp to 331 and torque to 487 lb-ft.

JBD Diesel claims to increase hp to 308 without any torque claim.

On the spec side - Racechip appears to be the winner. Both appear to install very easily on the 35d.

I have a Racechip on its way, but am not opposed to going the other direction if there is any significant benefit to doing so.

Thanks for your thoughts.

JP
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlaw View Post
Greetings -

I have seen threads on both of these tunes, but no one that has compared them head to head.

On the spec side - Racechip appears to be the winner. Both appear to install very easily on the 35d.

I have a Racechip on its way, but am not opposed to going the other direction if there is any significant benefit to doing so.

JP
Where did you order the RaceChip from? If you ordered anywhere besides their official website you will have not be able to return it. The 14 day policy is only for racechip.com. They both are pretty good head to head. You can't go wrong with either. BMS has a longer bmw history and @r33 deals with them directly so it's much easier in that sense for help. He knows the ins and outs of the company/tunes in case you run into trouble. I have RaceChip TB Ultimate on mine and it's performing beautifully with 507hp and 564 torque, but install and removal is a pain in the butt. That's why I learned how to change my own oil today on my father's '98 S320 from my friend. It's not worth it for me to travel an hour or so out of my way to get a free oil change from BMW. I'd rather keep my chip installed and use a better full synthetic oil like RedLine or Royal Purple with Synerlec 5w-30.

That's the one big plus for BMS - they use the MAF sensors instead of the MAP sensors like RaceChip on the 50i. The 35i and 35d seem to have an easier install for both companies. So it's simply a 1 minute install or removal. Make sure you check on your refund policy if you're having doubts, but I think you'll be ok. A lot of RaceChip guys love theirs for the diesel including @42pilot (he's been MIA so he's probably been busy lately). He has test almost all the settings of the chip you can think of. Many recommend E/2 setting.
      11-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@Trojanlaw, on the Diesel. I have yet to run more testing on the F15.
Since I don't have the 35d, it is a waiting game to get this tested and proven.
I have the JBD in stock, just waiting for one of the local 35d owner to spare his time.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

Quote:
Greetings -

JP

I just remove my racechip to visit dealership and now i feel how annoying my SUV without racechip.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

You will not be disappointed if you go whit racechip, E2 is like opasha says the preferred setting.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
@Trojanlaw, on the Diesel. I have yet to run more testing on the F15.
Since I don't have the 35d, it is a waiting game to get this tested and proven.
I have the JBD in stock, just waiting for one of the local 35d owner to spare his time.
If you would like to get an objective review backed up with measured parameters (not a Dyno), you can send me the chip and I'll be happy to give you an opinion. I understand the trust issue as well.
      11-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
If you would like to get an objective review backed up with measured parameters (not a Dyno), you can send me the chip and I'll be happy to give you an opinion. I understand the trust issue as well.
That would be great.
PM me your address.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Greetings -

JP
If you cannot get all the data on the tune, like torque (which is a major factor), then I wouldn't be so quick to give that tune a try. The racechip is good, but even they include somewhere around 88 tunes to cover most environmental and mechanical variations. On a perfect day, with the perfect settings, you might approach their listed maximum performance numbers.

Anyway, you'll be happy with the racechip. Make sure you experiment until you get what you like.
      11-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #9
Trojanlaw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Thanks so much. I actually went with it after reading your reviews. I will put it in as soon as I drive away from the PCD on the 21st. Can't wait!

Thanks for the warning on where to purchase. I actually purchased from another member that just bought it and did not even open the box. No 14 day return for me but it looks like it was the way to go in any regard.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks so much. I actually went with it after reading your reviews. I will put it in as soon as I drive away from the PCD on the 21st. Can't wait!

Thanks for the warning on where to purchase. I actually purchased from another member that just bought it and did not even open the box. No 14 day return for me but it looks like it was the way to go in any regard.
I think you'll be happy with it. I think a lot of members went straight in with E/2. As 42Pilot mentioned, there's a ton of them. Some great, some bad, some with great lag, some with better lower RPM power, and many with CELs, lol. So, it's probably best to stick with E/2, break your X5 in with it, and then experiment if you so choose later.
      11-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #11
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

HTML Code:
42pilot
have you tried E3 as setting? i want to boost power some more and honestly regret that i didn't buy the 40d, do you have any other suggestions for tuning the car?

edit:
How do you tag another member with their account name in your post? :-)
      11-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #12
Wobbles
Second Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F02, F13, F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by paicapo View Post
HTML Code:
42pilot
have you tried E3 as setting? i want to boost power some more and honestly regret that i didn't buy the 40d, do you have any other suggestions for tuning the car?

edit:
@paicapo - just type "@" followed by the member's name
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 11:11 PM   #13
42pilot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paicapo View Post
HTML Code:
42pilot

edit:
I'll have to look at which ones I liked. You really just need to understand their logic with the tunes and take the time to experiment with your preferred driving style. For example, I'm not interested in drag racing - I want throttle response off idle, from slow cruise and highway cruise. I found it experimenting.
      11-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #14
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'll have to look at which ones I liked. You really just need to understand their logic with the tunes and take the time to experiment with your preferred driving style. For example, I'm not interested in drag racing - I want throttle response off idle, from slow cruise and highway cruise. I found it experimenting.
Exactly. Most of us don't buy these chips for drag racing. It's all about better response and pick up for practical uses as you have mentioned...sure, the fun factor is definitely the icing on the cake .
      11-06-2014, 12:33 AM   #15
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

I'm running the racechip ultimate and i've tried a lot of settings and yes many throw the CEL. Lol. The best setting on mine is E/2. It feels a LOT stronger than stock and its super smooth. The Diesels feel strong off the line. Not like the 50i on highway speeds but if you watch the speedo you are accelerating a lot faster than it feels like! Its very enjoyable to drive and consider i also own an F10 M5 and enjoy the diesel power with the racechip. I'm dreaming one day we get the M50D here in the states one day!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 04:51 AM   #16
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
@paicapo - just type "@" followed by the member's name
Thanks @Wobbles
      11-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #17
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

It really depends what you want your powerband to look like. E2 works for zipping around town because it gives you the most amount of TQ in the lower part of your powerband.
42pilot explored many other settings and he found one that worked for more top end and increased mpg's. I like E2 because it gets the heavy truck going quick and it breaks all four tires loose if you really want it. I am also getting 28.3mpg with mixed use.
JBD doesnt currently support F15 diesel platform, but it's a great product for e90's and e70's. I use BMS on my F10 M5 and supported Terry and his products for the last 10 years, but he currently has no plans to support f15 diesels as there is not much demand. Money is definitely in the 335, 435, 535, 550, m3/m4 market rather than our platforms.
      11-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #18
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Has anyone tried this?

They specialize in diesel tuning and make the chips for all the BMW diesel variants: http://www.micro-chiptuning.de/BMW/X...fg5rcs18nv6vs5

Concern is quality, errors and efficacy vs. cost with this one.
      11-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #19
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
Has anyone tried this?

They specialize in diesel tuning and make the chips for all the BMW diesel variants: http://www.micro-chiptuning.de/BMW/X...fg5rcs18nv6vs5

Concern is quality, errors and efficacy vs. cost with this one.
No haven’t tried it but it looks kind a cheap buddy , for the money I would go whit racechip or Burger JBD that have real track record whit bmw owners.
      11-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #20
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40D 2019

Quote:
If you cannot get all the data on the tune, like torque (which is a major factor), then I wouldn't be so quick to give that tune a try. The racechip is good, but even they include somewhere around 88 tunes to cover most environmental and mechanical variations. On a perfect day, with the perfect settings, you might approach their listed maximum performance numbers.

Anyway, you'll be happy with the racechip. Make sure you experiment until you get what you like.
I was a happy RC owner when I had the X3 F25 20d, it worked peffect for around 50000 km.
Have in mind that the quoted hp/torque one their web page is based on max settings, and many will have error codes. The standard settings is supposed to give 20% increase, written somewhere only their web page. Most people will benefit most being around the std setting, recall each click is 1,5% change, as well as there will be a difference whether power is from low end or higher. RC is very popular in Europe where diesel is dominating the market
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #21
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

@42pilot, have you received the JBD? Would love to hear your review.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #22
CrockettHood
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
@42pilot, have you received the JBD? Would love to hear your review.
Me too!!
Appreciate 0