Enjoy a new review from CNET on youtube

Appreciate 5
      06-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
DaveChapin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M; 2014 911 TTS

The reviewed described the front seats as "church pews". That is, he thought they were too hard (although he didn't actually come out say they were uncomfortable). That is the first time I have ever heard of a complaint about the new M seats in this thing. Can any owners comment on their impression of the front seat quality, comfort?
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

4 mins 11 secs to 4 mins 28 secs is not reassuring information for a current E70 N63 owner with an F85 deposit placed.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChapin View Post
The reviewed described the front seats as "church pews". That is, he thought they were too hard (although he didn't actually come out say they were uncomfortable). That is the first time I have ever heard of a complaint about the new M seats in this thing. Can any owners comment on their impression of the front seat quality, comfort?
The seats in the F85 X5 M are amazing. I've had a lot of vehicles in my life, and the seats in this one are the best I've ever encountered. They are stiff, but they are incredibly supportive, and cradle one tightly, so there is no discomfort. I have a disc problem in my lower back, and the 1200 mile drive home from Spartanburg was the most comfortable I've spent in a vehicle, and my back never once flared up. Everyone who rides in the passenger seat, also comments on how wonderfully comfortable the seats and interior are.

My only complaint for the seats is the ventilation fans are a bit on the noisy side. The ones in the multi-contour seats in my 2013 X5 35d were whisper quiet. Perhaps, my F85 seats are an anomaly, and I just need them tweaked. I've not inquired on here about other peoples' experiences with the fans.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
kkakonn
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Love Brian Cooley's reviews
      06-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
DaveChapin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M; 2014 911 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
The seats in the F85 X5 M are amazing. I've had a lot of vehicles in my life, and the seats in this one are the best I've ever encountered. They are stiff, but they are incredibly supportive, and cradle one tightly, so there is no discomfort. I have a disc problem in my lower back, and the 1200 mile drive home from Spartanburg was the most comfortable I've spent in a vehicle, and my back never once flared up. Everyone who rides in the passenger seat, also comments on how wonderfully comfortable the seats and interior are.

My only complaint for the seats is the ventilation fans are a bit on the noisy side. The ones in the multi-contour seats in my 2013 X5 35d were whisper quiet. Perhaps, my F85 seats are an anomaly, and I just need them tweaked. I've not inquired on here about other peoples' experiences with the fans.
Fantastic feedback, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #7
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
4 mins 11 secs to 4 mins 28 secs is not reassuring information for a current E70 N63 owner with an F85 deposit placed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post

I agree with UrbanExtant, the F85 X5M seats are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in in any car.

I disagree with the review with regard to the "hard" seats and unforgiving suspension. He is way off base in my opinion.

I, too, have found the ventilated seats to be a bit noisy, but the noise is worth it to have my butt cooled on those hot days.
      06-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #8
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeM3 View Post
I agree with UrbanExtant, the F85 X5M seats are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in in any car.

I disagree with the review with regard to the "hard" seats and unforgiving suspension. He is way off base in my opinion.

I, too, have found the ventilated seats to be a bit noisy, but the noise is worth it to have my butt cooled on those hot days.
Good to know its not just my seats that are noisy. I agree, the ventilation is worth putting up with the noise, but I am surprised that the seats in my much cheaper 35d were way quieter than the X5 M. When I bring it in for a mid-cycle oil change, I'm going to inquire if there is anything that can be done to quiet them a bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
+1 for very comfortable seats. They are a little firm, but in no way uncomfortable - and I actually found it easier to get my lower back support right than I have done with the comfort/multicontour seats in my last ~6 cars. I was worried that the lack of height adjustment on the headrest would be an issue - and it isn't

My seat cooling is also loud, and not that great.

I've been fortunate enough to have a lot of really good cars over the last decade. This one is, by far, my favourite. Fast, comfortable, fun to drive, great looking, and really well made / finished.

"Haters gonna hate" ;p
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
+1 for very comfortable seats. They are a little firm, but in no way uncomfortable - and I actually found it easier to get my lower back support right than I have done with the comfort/multicontour seats in my last ~6 cars. I was worried that the lack of height adjustment on the headrest would be an issue - and it isn't

My seat cooling is also loud, and not that great.

I've been fortunate enough to have a lot of really good cars over the last decade. This one is, by far, my favourite. Fast, comfortable, fun to drive, great looking, and really well made / finished.

"Haters gonna hate" ;p
I agree with everything you said. The seats are a huge relief to me. Sitting in an X6 M at our local auto show this past winter clinched the deal for ordering our X5 M. Good lumbar support has been an issue in all of the vehicles I've owned over the past few years, and I'm hugely surprised that there is no issue regarding that in the F85.

Like you, I've been fortunate enough to have a dozen or so amazing cars over the past decade+, and I'd rate this as my favorite of them all. Actually, I'd rate this as my favorite vehicle that I've ever owned. Having dogs, a need to get things to and from hardware/home improvement stores, plant nurseries, and just plain old every day life requires me to have an SUV/SAV. For the first time, I don't feel like I have made any compromises in drivability, driving pleasure, etc. to retain this style vehicle. For me it's a 10/10, maybe even an 11/10!

It's comforting to hear it's not just my seat fans that are loud. Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #11
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I happen to be among the folks who aren't "sold" on the concept of //M+SUV, but I like powerful and fast vehicles. That said, it seems like a very nice truck and one I certainly would enjoy driving.

Not related to X5M specifically, I wish I had the first idea of the point of pedestrian warning systems. Where on Earth is that feature actually useful? In the city (at least my city) where one is likely to encounter pedestrians, one is only driving at 25mph or less. I can't say I recall in 40 years of driving having ever seen a pedestrian crossing the highway.

Does the system consider deer the same as pedestrians? In the burbs, and even in the city itself, a "deer warning system" would be most helpful. Unlike pedestrians, deer can't be counted on to wait for a vehicle moving at 40mph+ to pass before attempting to cross the road. <winks>

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 12:13 PM   #12
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

I dunno why reviewers always complain about German cars' seats being too hard....it's been this way for ever. Hard but very supportive ergonomically, which to me, is actually far more comfortable than a car seat that swallows you whole.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #13
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

X5M / X6M seats are so comfy
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #14
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89
I dunno why reviewers always complain about German cars' seats being too hard....it's been this way for ever. Hard but very supportive ergonomically, which to me, is actually far more comfortable than a car seat that swallows you whole.
He is driving in SF and you feel everything on some of those roads, that is more than likely why it is more prominent to him.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #15
C5 FOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 xDrive30d Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009
I happen to be among the folks who aren't "sold" on the concept of //M+SUV, but I like powerful and fast vehicles. That said, it seems like a very nice truck and one I certainly would enjoy driving.

Not related to X5M specifically, I wish I had the first idea of the point of pedestrian warning systems. Where on Earth is that feature actually useful? In the city (at least my city) where one is likely to encounter pedestrians, one is only driving at 25mph or less. I can't say I recall in 40 years of driving having ever seen a pedestrian crossing the highway.

Does the system consider deer the same as pedestrians? In the burbs, and even in the city itself, a "deer warning system" would be most helpful. Unlike pedestrians, deer can't be counted on to wait for a vehicle moving at 40mph+ to pass before attempting to cross the road. <winks>

All the best.
Class, more of a sales tool than a useful driver tool.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #16
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post

All the best.
I was actually saved by it twice on a 6 series, once downtown when a drunk pedestrian ran accross the street. I was only going about 30 or below but still did not see him, pedestrian warning flashed on my hud and I hit the breaks. Another time I was in a dark area and someone ran across the street, also didn't see him until pedestrian warning came up, I was going at least 50mph. Maybe we just have more idiots in this city.

That being said, it has given me many false alarms as well. On mine it was also coded to display a warning on my hud even when night vision was off. Not sure if that comes standard now or if it still needs to be coded that way.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 09:12 PM   #17
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I was actually saved by it twice on a 6 series, once downtown when a drunk pedestrian ran accross the street. I was only going about 30 or below but still did not see him, pedestrian warning flashed on my hud and I hit the breaks. Another time I was in a dark area and someone ran across the street, also didn't see him until pedestrian warning came up, I was going at least 50mph. Maybe we just have more idiots in this city.

That being said, it has given me many false alarms as well. On mine it was also coded to display a warning on my hud even when night vision was off. Not sure if that comes standard now or if it still needs to be coded that way.
Out of curiosity, what are some of the "things" in your path when the system gave a false alarms?

It's strange that the system gives false alarms at all. I mean, either the thing in front of the car is a human or it's not. Not many things look like a pedestrian, so I'd have thought that the system wouldn't give a lot of false alarms. Perhaps an ostrich or emu to a pedestrian detection system resembles a pedestrian, but in general bipedalism is fairly uncommon thing among large animals. Even though some animals, bears for example, can walk on two feet, for very few is it the mode of locomotion they'd use to cross a street.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #18
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Out of curiosity, what are some of the "things" in your path when the system gave a false alarms?

It's strange that the system gives false alarms at all. I mean, either the thing in front of the car is a human or it's not. Not many things look like a pedestrian, so I'd have thought that the system wouldn't give a lot of false alarms. Perhaps an ostrich or emu to a pedestrian detection system resembles a pedestrian, but in general bipedalism is fairly uncommon thing among large animals. Even though some animals, bears for example, can walk on two feet, for very few is it the mode of locomotion they'd use to cross a street.

All the best.
Construction cones/barrels, reflective poles on guard rails, even a small dust storm set it off once.

Normally pedestrian detection was only on when you had night vision turned on and viewing it on the iDrive at night. I coded it so that night vision would always be on even when it wasn't showing on the screen. The system wasn't made for that, at least not at the time, so false warnings make sense, especially in daylight.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 11:06 PM   #19
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Construction cones/barrels, reflective poles on guard rails, even a small dust storm set it off once.

Normally pedestrian detection was only on when you had night vision turned on and viewing it on the iDrive at night. I coded it so that night vision would always be on even when it wasn't showing on the screen. The system wasn't made for that, at least not at the time, so false warnings make sense, especially in daylight.
Okay...I guess that makes sense.

I thought for a second you might have discovered a Sasquatch colony or something.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 02:10 AM   #20
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Sometimes CNet is a hit or miss with car reviews
      06-22-2015, 02:14 PM   #21
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Really love Brian Cooley's reviews. He really digs in to the detail of the vehicle systems and features. He rarely mis-states facts, and he drops a TON in his videos. It's kind of amazing really.

Regarding the seats, it's definitely a personal preference. I've had people tell me that my car is horribly uncomfortable, and I've had people tell me they're the best seats they've ever placed their arse on.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 04:42 AM   #22
AGV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F15

Quote:
I have a huge complaint about 4MA Multifunctional seats. If you quite tall, these seats are totally uncomfortable (very hard, the head restraint is very low and also not regulated, it is impossible to select convenience fit). In comparison with them 456 comfortable seats like manna from heaven. But for some reason, some "clever" guy from BMW decided not to offer them even as an option. Because of this, I had to abandon F85.

Last edited by AGV; 06-24-2015 at 05:13 AM..
Appreciate 0