BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

08-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

IND | RKP F85 X5M/F86 X6M Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser DIY

RKP’s rear diffuser for the F85 X5M and F86 X6M was designed to remain congruent with BMW’s design language, adding aggressive fins to the center section of the rear bumper while maintaining the outermost ridge of the factory BMW diffuser so as to appropriately balance the existing body lines with the new fins. The RKP X5M and X6M diffuser uses only existing BMW mounting locations and screws, and requires no modification to the car to install.

The RKP F8x X5M/X6M rear diffuser is constructed from 100% carbon fiber, and is hand-laid in the United States. Each piece is designed for excellent fit and finish, and available in a 1x1 plain or 2x2 twill weave
Tools required:
  • 8mm socket

NOTE:

Due to the vehicle ride height, installation may be completed with the vehicle on the ground. Please ensure all appropriate safety precautions have been taken into account.

Step 1:

Remove the four 8mm screws on the underside of the factory rear diffuser

Step 2:

After the screws are removed, it is now time to remove the piece from the factory bumper cover. The diffuser is held in place by several clips/tabs. To remove these clips/tabs it is best to start from one end and work your way to the other side.

Step 3:

The RKP rear diffuser uses the exact same factory style tabs and retains the four 8mm screw locations. First step in the installation of the RKP piece is to align the tabs with their corresponding factory mounting point.

WARNING:
Please exercise care during the alignment of the RKP tabs. The RKP diffuser is full carbon fiber and if the installer does not exercise care they run the risk of damaging the mounting tabs.

Step 4:

With the tabs aligned with their corresponding recess, apply light pressure around the diffuser. Work your way around the diffuser a couple times to ensure that the diffuser is fully clipped into the bumper.

Step 5:
Now that the diffuser is clicked into place, install the four factory 8mm screws in their original position.

JOB COMPLETE

04-22-2016, 08:19 PM   #2
Ryngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85 X5///M, DG

Has anyone had issues with the two clips above each exhaust (left and right) seemingly not fully engaged - even though they sure as heck look like they are from the inside? It's creating a small little gap on that area but the middle and side sections are flush. I tried holding the inside of bumper and push on diffuser but it just won't go any further. Can post pic tomorrow but just wondering if I'm the only one.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5M F85 Akra, RaceChip

I will be installing mine soon after i get my Akra installed. I will let you know
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #4
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryngo View Post
Has anyone had issues with the two clips above each exhaust (left and right) seemingly not fully engaged - even though they sure as heck look like they are from the inside? It's creating a small little gap on that area but the middle and side sections are flush. I tried holding the inside of bumper and push on diffuser but it just won't go any further. Can post pic tomorrow but just wondering if I'm the only one.
Mine is the same. Somewhat annoying me at this point.
      07-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
Ryngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85 X5///M, DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryngo View Post
Mine is the same. Somewhat annoying me at this point.
Interesting. I was beginning to think there was something wrong w my car. Sucks.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Guys, I'm truly sorry to hear that you're having trouble! I'll send a PM to each of you- if you email me some images of the problem, I may be able to help out.