BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #45
Baunton
Lieutenant
 
Baunton's Avatar
 
Drives: F15 3D M Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Cotswolds

Posts: 532
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive30dGeorge View Post
about to order my new x30d here in the UK. have picked almost all the options, but one thing that annoys me is whether i should take the Adaptive Comfort Suspension or if it will be a waste.

I test drove the standard suspension today at the local dealer. Though not the greatest (I am coming from a 2007 330d which has a super stiff suspension), I was quite happy with the feel of the drive. Will the Adaptive Comfort give me a much better ride quality or is it only marginal over the standard?

Can anyone help me understand how these suspension options will be selected in the car itself? Generally, I tend to find myself not using too much certain features that are either difficult to get to or is quite painful to setup. So with the adaptive suspension, if getting the right setting involves many settings thru the drive controller each time, then I will skip it. Any help from someone how has either of the adaptive suspension systems already fitted?

Thanks a ton. This will be my first brand new BMW (always had hand me downs or used cars before), so super excited.
Hi 'george'. I too was concerned about the suspension, coming from my current 3D SE E70 and test drove the 3D M Sport and was REALLY impressed with the way the car handled. I live in the country, LOTS of pot holes etc so drove the test car over as many as possible and it was fine. Not at all like my current SE or the old M Sport. So I ordered w/o the ACS and saved myself a few bob but spent it on other options instead

PS Its due to be delivered Easter weekend...can't wait
Baunton is online now   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #46
xDrive30dGeorge
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW 330d SE 2007
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: London, England

Posts: 49
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive30dGeorge View Post
about to order my new x30d here in the UK. have picked almost all the options, but one thing that annoys me is whether i should take the Adaptive Comfort Suspension or if it will be a waste.

I test drove the standard suspension today at the local dealer. Though not the greatest (I am coming from a 2007 330d which has a super stiff suspension), I was quite happy with the feel of the drive. Will the Adaptive Comfort give me a much better ride quality or is it only marginal over the standard?

Can anyone help me understand how these suspension options will be selected in the car itself? Generally, I tend to find myself not using too much certain features that are either difficult to get to or is quite painful to setup. So with the adaptive suspension, if getting the right setting involves many settings thru the drive controller each time, then I will skip it. Any help from someone how has either of the adaptive suspension systems already fitted?

Thanks a ton. This will be my first brand new BMW (always had hand me downs or used cars before), so super excited.
Hi 'george'. I too was concerned about the suspension, coming from my current 3D SE E70 and test drove the 3D M Sport and was REALLY impressed with the way the car handled. I live in the country, LOTS of pot holes etc so drove the test car over as many as possible and it was fine. Not at all like my current SE or the old M Sport. So I ordered w/o the ACS and saved myself a few bob but spent it on other options instead

PS Its due to be delivered Easter weekend...can't wait
Excellent. I did the same and splashed out on the other options.

Waiting to read your review. Mine should be here mid May, a few weeks after yours
xDrive30dGeorge is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #47
eaglesrest
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW F15 X5 3.0d MSport
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 250
iTrader: (0)

Hi Mike, if you test drove the m sport, then the car had adaptive m sport suspension with dynamic dampers, very similar to the comfort suspension setup, so not really a fair comparison with the SE on steel springs.

Last edited by eaglesrest; 02-28-2014 at 04:16 PM.
eaglesrest is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #48
Baunton
Lieutenant
 
Baunton's Avatar
 
Drives: F15 3D M Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Cotswolds

Posts: 532
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Hi Mike, if you test drove the m sport, then the car had adaptive m sport suspension with dynamic dampers, very similar to the comfort suspension setup, so not really a fair comparison with the SE on steel springs.
Hi Paul.

Its true what you say..I guess I am coming from the last M Sport E70 I tried was so awful its the reason I bought the SE....I assume the E70 was steel springs too? I just hope I don't regret ordering the 20" tyres driving around the Cotswolds.
Baunton is online now   England
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #49
eaglesrest
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW F15 X5 3.0d MSport
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 250
iTrader: (0)

Yeah the E70 msport was worst case scenario unless you added adaptive drive.

Ironically the F15 SE on 20" wheels and steel springs, is probably also now worst case scenario re ride quality, as highlighted in the chart. That said, I test drove a stock SE on 20's and it was fine.
eaglesrest is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #50
Baunton
Lieutenant
 
Baunton's Avatar
 
Drives: F15 3D M Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Cotswolds

Posts: 532
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Yeah the E70 msport was worst case scenario unless you added adaptive drive.

Ironically the F15 SE on 20" wheels and steel springs, is probably also now worst case scenario re ride quality, as highlighted in the chart. That said, I test drove a stock SE on 20's and it was fine.
Glad I ordered the M Sport
Baunton is online now   England
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #51
jlee
Lieutenant
 
jlee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Comp + 2008 M3 Vert
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Washington DC

Posts: 584
iTrader: (1)

Sorry guys to belabor the discussion, but I'm about to order an x5. Like others have pointed out if you start by selecting an m sport package, then dynamic handling PACKAGE for $3600 the OPTION for dynamic dampners and rear suspension isn't available.

Is it automatically included like another user suggested?

Thanks

Jeff
jlee is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #52
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW X5 2014
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale, USA

Posts: 328
iTrader: (0)

Yes, it's included. Dynamic handling package is $4500.. $3600 for dhp and $900 for adaptive m suspension.
sirajkas is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #53
xDrive30dGeorge
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW 330d SE 2007
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: London, England

Posts: 49
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5x2 View Post
I have a 3.0d on order with adaptive comfort suspension and 7 seats (reducing cost of suspension by a 1/3)...
Is this documented anywhere? I checked with my dealer today and he showed me their ordering system on which it still shows 1495 for the suspension option. I asked him about it and he said he hasn't heard of it anywhere. Want something to show him.

I'm starting to get a serious case of the options creep.. Already made 2 changes to my order adding more options..
xDrive30dGeorge is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #54
x5x2
Private
 
Drives: X5 E70
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ENGLAND

Posts: 73
iTrader: (0)

if you order comfort suspension 3rd row drops from 1410 to 990
x5x2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #55
xDrive30dGeorge
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW 330d SE 2007
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: London, England

Posts: 49
iTrader: (0)

Awesome thanks.. I feel another change coming to my order. Adaptive Comfort Suspension is gonna be added tomorrow morning first thing.

I have a strange feeling BMW deliberately keep the order to build times so long, so folks like me who start with a sensible list of options end up adding every single available option to the order by the time its actually built.
xDrive30dGeorge is offline  
+1
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #56
soupratt
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 F10 520d
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melb

Posts: 25
iTrader: (0)

I just got the MSport 30d (35d) with the 2VF suspension (air in the rear because of the 3rd row) and it is fantastic. Not harsh at all on 20" wheels.
soupratt is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #57
CatFlap
First Lieutenant
 
CatFlap's Avatar
 
Drives: X5 F15 M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Worcs UK

Posts: 357
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to CatFlap
UK X5 M Sport With 2VF

Looking at my order I see that I've got 2VF (Adaptive M suspension) at no cost though no 3rd row seating.

Is this because I have options:
  • 3AC (Towbar, fully electric) and
  • 233 (Towing capacity, increased)?
__________________
X5 30d M Sport in Mineral White with Terra Dakota Leather.
CatFlap is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #58
Baunton
Lieutenant
 
Baunton's Avatar
 
Drives: F15 3D M Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Cotswolds

Posts: 532
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggo View Post
Looking at my order I see that I've got 2VF (Adaptive M suspension) at no cost though no 3rd row seating.

Is this because I have options:
  • 3AC (Towbar, fully electric) and
  • 233 (Towing capacity, increased)?
Its on my order and I have no 3rd row so is standard on M Sport
Baunton is online now   England
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #59
CatFlap
First Lieutenant
 
CatFlap's Avatar
 
Drives: X5 F15 M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Worcs UK

Posts: 357
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to CatFlap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Its on my order and I have no 3rd row so is standard on M Sport
Cor - something us Brits get for free...
__________________
X5 30d M Sport in Mineral White with Terra Dakota Leather.
CatFlap is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #60
golovan
Private
 
Drives: VW Jetta
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OKC

Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3 View Post
Yea I have the standard suspension and my dog, who spends most of his time in the back, has, for the first time, gotten sick on a road trip. Never had an issue in my X3s, or even M3 with EDC.

Avoid the stock suspension.
Did anyone else experience it? I did not order DDC or rear air suspension, but I guess can make changes if this was really a big issue for majority.
golovan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #61
bim_power
Private First Class
 
bim_power's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: VA/DC

Posts: 144
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovan View Post
Did anyone else experience it? I did not order DDC or rear air suspension, but I guess can make changes if this was really a big issue for majority.
Rear air suspension was standard feature in our last x5. When I test-drove the 35I x-line, it did not have it and noticed the back was bouncing around a bit. In my order, I went for M pack and the adaptive suspension.
bim_power is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #62
golovan
Private
 
Drives: VW Jetta
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OKC

Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bim_power View Post
Rear air suspension was standard feature in our last x5. When I test-drove the 35I x-line, it did not have it and noticed the back was bouncing around a bit. In my order, I went for M pack and the adaptive suspension.
Do you think air suspension will fix bouncing?
golovan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #63
golovan
Private
 
Drives: VW Jetta
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OKC

Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

I would love to add DHP, but it is a bit above my budget limit. If 3rd row seat + rear axle air suspension or Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension won't address this problem I just order stock.
I already made my order and hope I can make changes within one or two days. I would really appreciate your responses as they may help me to decide on this critical change.
golovan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #64
bim_power
Private First Class
 
bim_power's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: VA/DC

Posts: 144
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovan View Post
Do you think air suspension will fix bouncing?
I couldn't go for the DHP either because was trying staying within $75K.

The rear air suspension will weight balance the vehicle, which I've found helpful when carrying a load. Plus I think it also provides a better comfort as the diagram depicted in post #1. This is probably why when you do add the 3rd row option, the air comes as part of that package.
bim_power is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #65
Scot04
Registered
 
Drives: F15 X5 M50d
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

I have come from a 40d SE with dynamic pack (including sports suspension similar to M Sport cars in the UK) and 20" wheels with Brigstone run flat tyres. The ride was poor and I was sorry that I didn't choose the no cost option of deleting the sport suspension. I do like the look of the 20" wheels as well.

My F15 M50d has adaptive dynamic suspension and 20" wheels with Pirelli run flat tyres and is much more comfortable and softer over bumps. I don't know how much more comfortable it is compared to a similar car without adaptive dynamic suspension but the active anti roll system is fantastic so I'm very happy - particularly as I didn't have the opportunity to drive the combination I wanted before ordering it.
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif
__________________
Current: F15 X5 M50d
Past: E70 X5 40d SE, 911 Carrera S (997), Golf V6, Four Golf GTis
Scot04 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST