BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
Bigtop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 M50i

Compass

My settings will not remember to display the Compass in the instrument cluster as the default display.

If I set it to display the mpg or any other setting, the car will remember that, but not the compass setting.

Anyone else having this problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
Bigtop
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtop View Post
My settings will not remember to display the Compass in the instrument cluster as the default display.

If I set it to display the mpg or any other setting, the car will remember that, but not the compass setting.

Please can anyone test this for me? I have tried to set this as the default display with both sets of keys but to no avail. I can leave the setting with mpg, distance to empty, etc. and they all work if you set them as the default. Not the compass display for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
USAusi
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

It is the same for me. Other selections will remain, but if I shut down with the compass visible, it is not there when I start up next time. (US Model)

Last edited by USAusi; 02-19-2014 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Works fine for me. Set it last night and still set today.

EU model
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

I hate this new compass. It was much better to have a little letter on the mirror showing the direction you were going. I never use the new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtop View Post

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
Bigtop
Private First Class
Rep

OK, it now works. I think it was some software snaffle because I had not used some functionality of the car until I reached the 1000k mileage mark. I had not touched or used cruise control, Sport, Sport+ or Eco setting in the adaptive drive until this mileage. As soon as I hit 1000 miles I tested all those features and bingo! It saved the compass setting at that time. I am not sure why but it did and those were the only things that I had done that day that were different.

Love this car, it is a beast, even compared to the 50i E70 I had before. Scary how quick it gets to 110, in the blink of an overtake...........
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

At 4000 km my compass is stored in memory. Previously no, unsure what the magical number was definitely not 1k for me. Better with age, the car that is.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

I agree that it was much better on the mirror, not sure why they decided to move it to dash, I could understand if it was always on in a dedicated section in dash, or at least put it on the darn HUD permanently, but no, they have to make a fancy compass view, because having a direction indicated with a letter is too ghetto?
      11-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #9
BillK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 11 M3, 15 X5d, 20 X2

It's probably cheaper to program the dash as opposed to using a different mirror I hate the dash compass. It's annoying to have to cycle past it

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
I agree that it was much better on the mirror, not sure why they decided to move it to dash, I could understand if it was always on in a dedicated section in dash, or at least put it on the darn HUD permanently, but no, they have to make a fancy compass view, because having a direction indicated with a letter is too ghetto?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #10
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
It's probably cheaper to program the dash as opposed to using a different mirror I hate the dash compass. It's annoying to have to cycle past it

I don't think it is possible to reprogram the dash, or is it? I am old school, I would rather replace the mirror? Is the mirror one piece with connected drive & camera behind it or can the mirror be replaced independently? If so junk yards or totaled vehicles might be able to donate one. I noticed they made the garage opener fancier with a light actually inside the mirror view, like anyone cared for that. Otherwise, I think it would be a lot easier to just program one of the 8 presets to display direction information on split screen.
      11-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
I don't think it is possible to reprogram the dash, or is it? I am old school, I would rather replace the mirror? Is the mirror one piece with connected drive & camera behind it or can the mirror be replaced independently? If so junk yards or totaled vehicles might be able to donate one. I noticed they made the garage opener fancier with a light actually inside the mirror view, like anyone cared for that. Otherwise, I think it would be a lot easier to just program one of the 8 presets to display direction information on split screen.
I don't think so either, and I actually tried searching for compass coding threads. Nothing came up except rear view mirror retrofits.