BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive35i MSport

Rear view camera not working

Camera was working fine when I parked my car this morning. When I came back and put the car in reverse this is all I get (see picture). Notice that none of the options on the left are available (all grayed). Stopped by the dealer on the way home and they did a quick check and everything looks normal so they have no clue what happened to the camera. Have to schedule an appointment so they can check it next week. Very annoying!!!!!

Anyone had the same problem? Any idea what happened?
Attached Images

Last edited by BMWMN1971; 05-10-2014 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Do this first. Place in park. Hit your PDC/Parking Assistant button to make sure it turns off, then hit it on. Then put your car in reverse and see if that does anything. Also, go into your settings menu and see if there is anything related to the camera in there.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

i had something like that , on revers i had blue screen and black on front camera , after turning off my car and let him fall asleep it starts working again .
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

Tried everything but nothing works. Could not find anything related to the camera on Settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Here's the same issue occurring with the 2007 model: http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...mittent-4.html. Seems like dealer will have to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

I got an appointment with my local dealer for Monday. Interesting on the thread you sent me is that they were getting a "camera malfunction" warning. I get nothing. I checked my vehicle settings it it says "all systems OK". Also the advisor at the dealer today check the reading of my key fob and it shows no issues in the car. Hope it is an easy fix but if they have to order a new camera from Germany I will probably get the car back with the non working camera and take it back when the new camera arrives. There is no way I will leave the car there for 6 days like other mentioned waiting for a camera to arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Here's the same issue occurring with the 2007 model: http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...mittent-4.html. Seems like dealer will have to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #7
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMN1971 View Post
I got an appointment with my local dealer for Monday. Interesting on the thread you sent me is that they were getting a "camera malfunction" warning. I get nothing. I checked my vehicle settings it it says "all systems OK". Also the advisor at the dealer today check the reading of my key fob and it shows no issues in the car. Hope it is an easy fix but if they have to order a new camera from Germany I will probably get the car back with the non working camera and take it back when the new camera arrives. There is no way I will leave the car there for 6 days like other mentioned waiting for a camera to arrive.
Sorry, I could not assist you further. Your issue does seem unique, but on the second or last page of the thread i gave you, someone mentioned the black screen similar to yours. I could have misread it. In regards to keeping your car, I agree with you. It's better to have your X5 because most dealers don't have anything comparable as a loaner. I got stuck with bare bones X3 and X1 both times for 2-3 days when my car was being serviced for the defective speaker. I hope they fix it for you soon.

To me it appears to be wiring (hardware) related if the software detects nothing. I'm guessing a loose connection.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Glad to hear the dealer was able to get you in for service quickly. Let us know how it works out!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

Just got a call from the Service Advisor that rearview camera has to be replaced. They are shipping it overnight from Chicago and it should be done tomorrow. Still no idea why I got a Drivetrain Malfunction and Engine light on once duringthe weekend. They are running further diagnostics but nothing found so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Glad to hear the dealer was able to get you in for service quickly. Let us know how it works out!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

Update on my rearview camera problem: new camera was ordered and installed and still does not work. Dealer is contacting BMW to try to figure out what is going on. I gave them a deadline to get my car back by Friday with or without camera.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Update on my rearview camera problem: new camera was ordered and installed and still does not work. Dealer is contacting BMW to try to figure out what is going on. I gave them a deadline to get my car back by Friday with or without camera.
Sorry to hear that, man. That's really unfortunate. I wonder what it could be. Could it be some blown fuse that corresponds to the camera?
      05-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #12
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

The technician said the problem happens when they are programming the car. Not sure what exactly that means but according to them the new camera was installed and while programming the new camera the error was still there.

Quote:
Sorry to hear that, man. That's really unfortunate. I wonder what it could be. Could it be some blown fuse that corresponds to the camera?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 12:04 AM   #13
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The technician said the problem happens when they are programming the car. Not sure what exactly that means but according to them the new camera was installed and while programming the new camera the error was still there.
That's really strange. Did you have your car coded at all before this problem occurred? I wonder if it's a simple software error where the car needs to be completely reset/refreshed or something related to the LCD/Navigation wiring not picking up the signal to throw the camera on. These always deal with fuses. For example, there's a specific wire that is connected I believe by a 12V power source that runs from the camera in the rear to the break light switch that tells the monitor to flip the camera on when you put the gear in reverse. I looked up all this complicated wiring when we installed an aftermarket backup camera license plate system with a 7 inch display in my FX35. It works beautifully, faster than the X5 camera, which is surprising considering the whole setup only cost about $100. Do you have another service department near you or perhaps a local mechanic that is REALLY REALLY good at electronic wiring that is nice enough just to figure it out without charging you anything. We have a local friend that works at a tire shop and he's quite a genius when it comes to any electronic work on any vehicle. He's the one that walked me through the whole setup and how he configured the wiring in my FX35. Maybe the BMW service guys might be missing a basic/crucial step.
      05-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #14
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

Tks for all the thoughts. I never had my car coded or did anything outside the dealer. It is a lease so I always go to the dealer since it is all covered under warranty so I don't know anyone that could take a look. Based on what you said I guess something is not triggering the camera to flip. All I get is the image I posted and all the camera settings are grayed out so nothing I can change. I guess the dealer did the obvious that was installing a new camera. However it did not work. I will see what they say today since it was late yesterday when I got their call informing that during programming the camera it did not work so they had to contact BMW to see what next steps were. I will keep you posted. Very annoying since I am without my car for a week now because of a stupid camera.

Quote:
That's really strange. Did you have your car coded at all before this problem occurred? I wonder if it's a simple software error where the car needs to be completely reset/refreshed or something related to the LCD/Navigation wiring not picking up the signal to throw the camera on. These always deal with fuses. For example, there's a specific wire that is connected I believe by a 12V power source that runs from the camera in the rear to the break light switch that tells the monitor to flip the camera on when you put the gear in reverse. I looked up all this complicated wiring when we installed an aftermarket backup camera license plate system with a 7 inch display in my FX35. It works beautifully, faster than the X5 camera, which is surprising considering the whole setup only cost about $100. Do you have another service department near you or perhaps a local mechanic that is REALLY REALLY good at electronic wiring that is nice enough just to figure it out without charging you anything. We have a local friend that works at a tire shop and he's quite a genius when it comes to any electronic work on any vehicle. He's the one that walked me through the whole setup and how he configured the wiring in my FX35. Maybe the BMW service guys might be missing a basic/crucial step.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #15
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Tks for all the thoughts. I never had my car coded or did anything outside the dealer. It is a lease so I always go to the dealer since it is all covered under warranty so I don't know anyone that could take a look. Based on what you said I guess something is not triggering the camera to flip. All I get is the image I posted and all the camera settings are grayed out so nothing I can change. I guess the dealer did the obvious that was installing a new camera. However it did not work. I will see what they say today since it was late yesterday when I got their call informing that during programming the camera it did not work so they had to contact BMW to see what next steps were. I will keep you posted. Very annoying since I am without my car for a week now because of a stupid camera.
I can understood your frustrations, my friend. Well, I really hope they have fixed it this time and can explain to you exactly what went wrong. Perhaps, your situation can help others if such an occurrence arises for another X5 on here. Best of luck!
      05-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #16
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

Got a call from the technician. Now tracing every single wire in the car to see which one is causing the camera problem. They basically had to tear the car apart to have access to all the wires. WTF!!!! I can only imagine all the noise that I will have in this car once it is put it back in place. They had to remove the seats, dashboard, etc.. Very very very annoying!!! Only consolation is that it is a lease so I will get rid of it in 30 months.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #17
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Got a call from the technician. Now tracing every single wire in the car to see which one is causing the camera problem. They basically had to tear the car apart to have access to all the wires. WTF!!!! I can only imagine all the noise that I will have in this car once it is put it back in place. They had to remove the seats, dashboard, etc.. Very very very annoying!!! Only consolation is that it is a lease so I will get rid of it in 30 months.
That really sucks, but yes, that is a good consolation. Leased cars get abused the most, lol. I hope it gets resolved quickly and doesn't cause you future issues!
      05-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #18
BMWMN1971
Lieutenant
Rep

Finally got my car back after an entire week at the dealer and them trying to figure out what was causing the rearview camera to not work. After they replaced the camera with no success they decided to check all wires and connections. They had to remove the seats and I just don't want to know what else. After couple days they found a bad connection in one of the wires and got that fixed. They believe it was kind of lose from the factory. Camera is working fine for now so let's see how it goes. As I suspected and was concerned with them tearing the car apart they damaged the inside of my rear door and the plastic is all dented. Dealer has agreed to replace the part.
Appreciate 1
mrfochon211.00
      05-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #19
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2014

That sucks man.. It happened to me once but it came back up after few minutes.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 11:05 PM   #20
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Finally got my car back after an entire week at the dealer and them trying to figure out what was causing the rearview camera to not work. After they replaced the camera with no success they decided to check all wires and connections. They had to remove the seats and I just don't want to know what else. After couple days they found a bad connection in one of the wires and got that fixed. They believe it was kind of lose from the factory. Camera is working fine for now so let's see how it goes. As I suspected and was concerned with them tearing the car apart they damaged the inside of my rear door and the plastic is all dented. Dealer has agreed to replace the part.
That really sucks about the damaged parts, but that was def going to happen. I'm glad your dealer is covering it. Just make sure you check everything with detail when you get it back - sometimes they will cut corners to save themselves money.
      08-28-2016, 12:08 PM   #21
ejpeiker
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6

I'm dealing with exactly the same issue right now on my 2016 X6 - exactly the same behavior. Dealer has never seen the issue before. They've had the car for two days. I have showed them this thread - should know more on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #22
darrvao777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

I had the same issue, faulty camera. They swapped it out for me (took 72 hours to order the parts and install but I got a loaner at least) and no problems since then (almost a year to date)
Appreciate 0