View Single Post
      07-25-2014, 01:53 PM   #18
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
It's not just the connection, it's the source material as well. One thing is listening to 192 VBR MP3 or even a 320, another - FLAC or similar. Still, B&O is a bit too much for the money and you can definitely get a better sounding custom built system. HK is and has always been the way to go in the BMW. In cars like Mercedes or Porsche though - you have to pick the top of the range Burmester, it's just THAT good, blows B&O away.

P.S. But then, who am I to judge, I got screwed by the dealer messing up my HK option pick and got stuck with the default 6 speakers. Two months into ownership now - still can't get used to how bad this thing is. So desperate, that I'm exploring options to bring guys from another country to do the custom installation... will cost me a fortune though, even compared to B&O.
Don't know your area, but taking the stock system up to "much better" really shouldn't cost that much. Get new speakers all the way around (maybe 200 a set, so 600 for 6 speakers) and that should be a pretty big improvement. If you want to go further, have them add an amp and subwoofer; but, even installed, 6 speakers, a good amp and sub shouldn't be more than 2-3K (and will be a lot better than the B&O). If you really want to go for it, have them install amps for all the speakers and a pair of really high end subs. Probably get you into the B&O territory for cost, but it'll melt you mind if you turn it way up and sound incredible.
Appreciate 0