View Single Post
      07-01-2015, 02:59 AM   #12
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Tony, I can tell that you put a lot of time and thought into that post, but it didnt really answer the OPs question. In fact, it was pretty off topic.

A couple points I would like to retort: I never said Fossil made bad watches. I advised the OP not to buy into the hype and get Fossil just because its the best selling watch under $500 at his local mall jewelry store. Fact is, they are overrated and he can probably do much better for his money. If he looks at a Fossil he likes and chooses to get one, good for him. I simply stated not to buy one just because everyone and their brother owns one.

You said replica watches are just as good as a lower end entry level watch? I bought a "Fauxlex" on Canal St in NYC for $40 a few years ago before I knew any better. I never wore it because I felt fake and wrong having it on my wrist. It worked for a week, then died. Think its a fluke? My brother bought his son one as well from the same "vendor". Same thing. Now dont get me wrong. You CAN buy a better quality fake, but you will spend at least $300 on it, and at that price point why not buy a nice Citizen or some other entry level timepiece. Hell, Id rock a Diesel before a fake Rolex and ive already stated how I feel about those ridiculous looking things.

As a watch collector of 30 years, I am very surprised you are advocating the purchase of a replica. It doesnt matter how good they are. Its a fake. A forgery. A sham. The only person you are fooling by wearing one is yourself because no one else is impressed by a fake watch. If you cant afford the real thing, why pretend you can?

Fact remains, OP said he does not want an expensive watch so why are you going off on a tangent about $2000+ watches? You say you are a collector with 30+ years experience. Great. I applaud you, but that means nothing to me in this thread. Use some of that experience to stay on topic and suggest some sub $1000 watches like OP asked for. I dont have 30+ years of experience, and I am likely not as into watches as you, but i at least suggested the OP take a look at some manufacturers in his price range. Please dont degrade my advice like your experience makes me inferior to you.
Appreciate 0