View Single Post
      10-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #1
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

X5M/X6M Gloss Black Grille/Gills Wrap - DIY

Guys... I'm not a cheap ass by all means, but I can't justify $440 for a set of plastic grilles. After reading a DIY thread, I was inspired to wrap my grille surround.

You can do it yourself too, very easy. Just a bit tedious and patience.

Tools Needed: T-27, ratchet, 2 flat head screw drivers, heat gun, exacto knife, and 2 working thumbs (you can use felt squeegee, optional).

Materials: http://www.amazon.com/3M-GLOSS-Black.../dp/B007EEU58W

Time: 1.5-2.5hrs.

Step 1: Removing the grilles from the car - Move rubber gasket from top of the bumper (don't remove it, just move it so you can access the 5 screws), which covers 5x T-27 screws. Remove the screws. Lift the top of the bumper out of the 3 guides, then pull slightly. Each grilles have 2 taps on top, 2 tabs on side, and 2 tabs on the bottom. Pop the tabs on top and side of each grille first with screw driver. Then access the 2 bottom ones on each grilles by pulling the bumper out from top and reach down. Use your fingers to feel the tabs then pop them out. It may take a couple tries, wear long sleeves or your arms will be scratched up.

Step 2: Separate the chrome from the black pieces. Just observe all tabs, use a crew driver to pop them out. Start with the top and side ones, the bottoms will come out when the top tabs are loosened. Just a tiny bit of force to pry them apart. Try not to break these fragile clips. (you can watch how the M3/M4 guys replace their grille surround, same concept)

Step 3: Wrap - cut a vinyl piece 1-2" larger than the grilles. Once the vinyl is peeled, lay flat with sticky side up on a clean surface. Carefully place the chrome side of the grille surround on the vinyl. Use your fingers and heat gun to work the vinyl on top and outer of the grilles until it's smooth. Next, use the H-shape technique as the vid in the below reference thread. Once you've reached the edge, start trimming using your finger as a guide to have a nice trim (you can't see the trimming work if it's not as pretty.

Step 4: Snaps the grilles slats and surrounds together, then snap the back into the car. Re-install the screws and rubber weather gasket. Total time for me was 1.5hrs.

Step 5: Enjoy your work. Post here if you have questions...

Tips: Work the vinyl with both of your thumbs, 1 inch at a time to ensure it's smooth. Only heat 1 sec at a time. Don't cut until the outside and inside reached the edge with no or little kinks. Watch the vid and tricks in the threads below before starting.

I'll work on the side gilles next time, which requires heating and removing the X5M emblems. Same concept, slightly easier.

I hope you "appreciate" this thread.

Inspired by: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=986632
Thanks pablobaq
Attached Images

Last edited by JNoSol; 10-11-2015 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 11