12-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #38
DaveChapin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M; 2014 911 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkey View Post
Anyone here actually owns a Cayenne Turbo 2012+? Let's hear your opinions and not people who hate cayenne simply because it's pricey and a little slower! Porsche owners rarely talk about BMW. It's not the case with BMW owners
I have a 2014 911 and a 2016 X5M, so I think I am in at least a pretty good place to compare the brands. There are a lot of interior traits they share. And I cross shopped the Cayenne Turbo S.

Fit finish are a bit better on the Cayenne in spots, better in the X5 in others.

The molded back seats are better in the Cayenne. I prefer the rear split gate in the X5.

I think the latest Cayennes took a step back in exterior design to its Cayenne predecessor. But even the older one looked considerably less impressive than the X5M. I love the rear stance of the X5M in particular.

Electronics in the X5 are vastly superior. It's more sophisticated to engage with and look at; easier to use despite more features. The "PCM" software in the Porsche is just too dated (something that will be addressed at least in part when the Cayennes get the upgraded systems in the 991.2 911s). Part of the problem is that the infotainment screen/software in the Porsche vehicles was designed for a narrow car like a 911. It's just too small in the Cayenne. Porsche does a nice job of visually hiding this with the placement of large vertical vents sandwiching the screen. Basically Porsche took the 911 dash elements and placed them on a balloon and then inflated the balloon.

It's nearly 2016 and STILL no head up display on the Cayenne; a feature I really miss in the 911.

The extreme price premium of the Cayenne to get comparable performance did not help matters.

Pairing a 911 to a X5M I think I gives the best of both worlds. BMW's superior electronic, creature comforts for long trips (w/o sacrificing performance); and the intensity & handling of Porsche's signature car for daily driving with interior parts actually optimized for the model.
Appreciate 6