08-22-2016, 12:14 PM   #78
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
Disagree on waiting to buy a home.

OP can borrow $$ toward RE purchase at record low interest rate levels. If/when he marries, then he has the option of selling an asset that should have appreciated, or they can live together in a house that has equity - valuable for a young married couple that plan to expand family, etc....

Home ownership is power....IMO, that's what OP should invest in...
Not to mention the current tax incentive (unless this goes away) in being able to claim the interest. Heck, you can even apply PMI now. Also, the Feds giving you a pass on capital gains taxes on the appreciation of your primary residence if you've lived in it at least 2 years out of the last 5. This is huge as the Feds are allowing this tax exemption up to $250k of capital gains for single and $500k for married.

And the low interest rates are no joke. I have my primary locked in at 3.75% for 30 years and my vacation property at 3.25% for 30 years. My monthly payment (PITI) on the vacation property is less than the number being thrown around here for the M3 being talked about. Yet in the 4 years of owning the property, I've experienced (on paper) an appreciation of about $40k based on comparable new construction homes just sold as the development is still being built out.
Appreciate 1