View Single Post
      03-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #41
McWCgW
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancepowell View Post
Interestingly I have the same list of repairs for a failed "internal fuel pump."

I was told the entire fuel line would need to be replaced due to metal particles found in the injectors. I took the X5 in due to loose steering (felt like i was always correcting while on highway speeds) and when the technician was driving the entire car shut down and had to be towed back to the dealer. It seems like an awful amount of work for just bad gas. Is there any chance that your situation could be similar to what I experienced?
Exact same situation. The vehicle was shutting off on it's own while my wife was driving it with our 2 kids, thankfully she was on a side street when it happened 2 times in a row.

There were "metal particles" in the fuel for us as well. Once they removed the gas tank they put a magnet into the fuel that was at the bottom of the empty tank and showed me how the fuel was sticking to the magnet.... whether that's actually scientific proof or not, I don't know, but I guess it worked enough for my insurance company.

BMW had originally "recommended" that the entire fuel system be replaced. My insurance company laughed at them saying it was unnecessary to replace the entire system (which is what I thought, who designs a vehicle that needs $18k worth of repairs for bad fuel??). So they initially approved replacement for a few of the items and then a fuel system cleaning. That didn't do the trick, so insurance ended up going with the BMW recommendations.
Appreciate 0