Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5  [9.50]
2004 BMW K1200RS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
The main difference between BMW and the rest of the automakers is that the latter have been doing what they do best. BMW has not been doing what they're known for - making ultimate driving machines.
Looking at the current trends, BMW is making general cars for the masses but for the semi enthusiast we have the 40i/50i M performance part models and then the full //Ms, I think they are catering accordingly. It’s just you cannot get an ultimate driving machine at normal specs anymore, eg the new 5 series is soft like a Merc.
Because whether we like it or not, it's more profitable to sell to the masses than to sell to a small niche. Being realistic too, BMW is still a premium product that the masses can't necessarily afford. The median household income in the US is roughly $60k a year. The low rate financing, BMW Select option and attractive lease programs make it easier for the average folk to get into these cars. However, that doesn't mean that everyone that drives one has made a good financial decision considering their income.

Where I come from, to drive a BMW, you have to have money. There is no "sign and drive", lease for $399 a month and none of that. The only way to have access to a brand new BMW is to have at least 50% of the car's price in cash to even start talking at a desk where they tell you which cars they have coming in the next 6 months and you pick the one that you like best. There isn't 150 BMWs available for you to test drive, a chef making you an omelette while you wait in the lounge, you don't take the car home a few hours later after signing a couple pieces of paper. We have it way too easy here. If BMW AND other brands appeal to a broader market, they have to sell those cars that some of us would never buy.

Personally, I don't agree that they don't sell the Ultimate Driving Machine anymore. If we complain about the back up camera not being present a BMW but available at no cost on the new Corolla. Does that make the car DRIVE better? It doesn't. That's what people want now. They want the back-up camera, the blind spot detection, the self-braking aids, etc... Some will argue that it's all safety but I also see a laziness factor somewhere hidden in there. Less interest in driving and more interest in gadgetry. We all want comfort and extra features (admittedly I do too) and that's what BMW has been giving us. I don't see many people driving a basic 230i M Sport with a manual transmission... where are those hardcore enthusiasts? I don't see flocks of the new 2200-pound Miata on the street. I do see a ton of CX-5s, though.

We all look back at the glory days. I do too. Even though the E30 M3 is now priced like a small house and given a big boost by the car media revering its rawness and "feel". The most basic 230i will probably be faster, more fuel efficient, more comfortable and safer.

The 5-Series isn't soft, drive it on a track against any of its competitors and I guarantee you that you'll pick the BMW. We can argue that the whole segment has become "softer" because it's what people want. The average age of a new 5-Series buyer isn't 25-30. The age group buying that car want a capable machine but they also want comfort and quietness because they are NOT taking it to the track.

The current M3 and M4 are still kicking ass to a competition that has to revert to bigger engines, AWD or cup-like tires like the Alfa in order to be at the same level. BMW gave us a straight 6 again with a lot more torque than the outgoing V8 (yes, it's missing the soundtrack, it all can't be perfect), a light weight car when every other car in the class keeps getting porkier and an available MANUAL transmission. On top of everything, being out for several years now, can't we say that it has also been fairly reliable? That qualifies as the Ultimate Driving Machine to me.

It doesn't hurt to state once again, this is a forum and everyone is entitled to an opinion. We can agree to disagree. I don't mean to offend anybody, the above is just my point of view.

Cheers!
Appreciate 2
Patrik158.00
Matski151.00