07-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #94
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Let's all discuss N63TU related things here.

Easy mods available for N63TU so far:

1. Air filters swap. Either for X5M (14% more flow)- $100 for both oem X5M filters. Direct fit. Or some aftermarket intake.
2. Muffler delete mod. Mainly to unleash V8 sound. Also, saves a bit of weight 40lbs. My guess is it does make engine breath a bit better and maybe even gain a couple of hp?
3. Extra weight savings: swap stock oem battery to lightweight Deka. Saves another 35lbs. I'm driving on it already for 3 months and no issues. However, I am in AZ, so I can't guarantee how it will behave in colder states.
4. Seat removal and swap for a sport Recaro or Momo) or other lightweight brand). Rear seat - about 75lbs saving. Both front seats - about 150lbs saving. Good sport seat like Recaro weighs about 20lbs. So in total you can get about 200lbs savings. Yes, I know only 1% crazy enough will do it, but hey, I've done it. You can always go back easily.
5. Tune. This is biggest mod. Decide for yourself which one to get.
6. Downpipes - another 20-40whp on the table, but we need more info. Don't think anyone have done it yet on 50i on the forum.
7. Spark plugs from X5M or maybe NGK ones that are 1 step colder and need to gap them down to 0.6mm. There is a thread about it by Maverick.
8. Meth kit. Meth helps with cooling down IATs and boosting octane. For those in AZ where we only have 91 octane - it's a cheapest way to get "100 octane" equivalent and get cooler IATs - that will allow tune to get better ignition timing and possibly better boost. I'll post later my experience, as I'm most probably going to add meth kit soon.
Thanks for this. I'm getting a tune for sure, and I think I'll do the air filter swap. Can you send me a link? Lastly, how do you do the muffler delete? I know there's more sound to be had on my X6 50i but it's being muffled. I had an M6 before and an m4 before that and all I had to do was unplug the wire from the muffler and it would keep the valves open.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0