View Single Post
      11-04-2019, 02:04 PM   #14
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

when the native carplay runs on a 2017+ it uses only 3/4 of the screen. the other 1/4 of the screen is used by idrive. so there are now companies who can provide a service which will allow carplay to run in the full screen mode. you just connect obdII cable from car to your laptop. then they can update the NBTevo firmware remotely.

fullscreen mode in carplay will make maps, music player or anything running on carplay look cleaner. but this full screen mode is only for carplay so if you switch out of carplay back to idrive it's back to normal. the full screen carplay is the way it should of came on the 2017+ but bmw decided not to do it this way. i believe carplay came about on idrive5 but it's also available on idrive6. my 2017 has idrive5. as for usb stick movies, carplay does not play movies. you'll have to do that on the idrive mode.

when i carplay map modes, you can play music from apple, FM, satellite or CD. when the map notifies for a turn, it will lower the music volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekological View Post
Shortly after I posted the thread, I realized the '17+ had touch screens. Can you provide more info when you talk about full screen option? Was it going from ID5 to ID6? What was involved? Have you ever tried playing media through a USB stick and using Carplay? If a nav instruction comes up through Waze on Carplay, will the music audio be muted? I think when I used Carplay in the G05 and had music going through Carplay's music app (sourcing music from my phone), there would be random cuts in audio...just a momentary blip. It didn't happen often, but that was annoying. As far as I could tell, nothing else was happening on the phone (incoming text, emai, etc).
Appreciate 2
A.dot236.00