Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Just curious, are you looking at new Audi's and BMW's or used? I'm assuming used since your cross-shopping with much cheaper vehicles.

An A4 Allroad w/ Painted Cladding would be a very nice vehicle. Practical, Comfortable, Roomy, Nice Materials and Great Technology, although I imagine the Sportback is much easier to find. Q3 is also nice, but would have to be new, the first gen is not a good vehicle, and the X1 isn't as nice and completely lacks features like Blind-Spot Monitoring at any price, despite every new econobox having it standard.
Yep, but I don't really want to go out and buy another 50K car. I could afford it...but I wouldn't be driving it enough to justify the depreciation.

So I'm definitely considering a used A4 Allroad, A5 SB, etc. Those are particularly good because they can be had with ACC and remote start...but the kicker is two-fold, ACC is an incredibly rare feature/option and there aren't any used A4 allroads, the dealer doesn't even stock any! There are a few used A5 sportbacks around, but since the model is so new, they are still well north of 40K, no ACC.

But if what I want to transport fits, a GTI or R may still be the best. I have a spreadsheet where I've stacked everything up and weighed the features, those come out pretty high on the scoreboard, assuming used from 2016 and on. I just wish you could have at least GTI performance in a sportwagen size. It's like they are intentionally trying to make that model suck, you can only get the 1.8 awd in the stripped model with no features, and it's still not much power, or you can go to the lifted alltrack thing, but then it's back to being a crossover.

For something like a Q3/5 or X2, yeah, I'd be within the last couple years, some do have the features, but not exactly what I'm looking for, I'd be a hell of a lot nicer to have at least an A4 allroad with it's real-wagon size.

It's frustrating, but if I spend more time and don't find something with the features I want, I may just fly down to Seattle, but it on the spot, drive back through Canada, take some vacation on the way. That may actually work well for me.
You can get 380hp out of the 1.8t with an IS38 turbo and tuning. The 4Motion wagon with some basic tuning is pretty impressive. I'm fine with the GTI, but understand wanting a little more space, and the wagon is pretty nice.

There are tuners that use the JB4 platform that's certainly more flexible than APR, but here's an idea of various tunes for the 1.8t.

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_u..._gen3_mqb.html
Appreciate 0