11-10-2020, 06:36 PM   #75
hufington
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Let's dispel some rumors and conjecture regarding tunes and dealerships and warranties. It's long overdue. I've read countless posts full of hypotheticals and assumptions by well-meaning folks. Most of it was rubbish. I'm here to deliver some truth.

TLDR: They will find out you tuned your car. They will care. And you may be fucked.
I have been always telling this on the forum and in real world. There is no way that you can get away with modifying a BMW and then when something goes wrong claiming that it needs to be fixed under warranty, IF the service is ready and willing to investigate as it was in your case. There is no need to cry and call foul play like most do when something happens because of the tune. Either one goes for it and takes full responsibility when something occurs (like you did) and live with the consequences or doesn't touch it. Some may get lucky and the service foreman or mechanics don't really care, but it is like gambling. Mostly, they do not care about mechanical mods like muffler delete or DPs, but when you mess with the ECU, it is a different story. I hope everything goes the way you expect. Keep on enjoying the beast.
Appreciate 1