View Single Post
      09-20-2021, 05:08 PM   #315
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

It's tough to talk about that. Yes, it's there, but I think it was present with the original stock pads too. That has to do with the idiotic transmission programming and maybe the brake by wire algorithm as well. Certainly not the smooth braking I can do in the '02 m5, '99 m3, '11 m3, '05 elise, etc. I have 50+ track days under the belt, drive hard, and still have the previously listed cars in addition to an exotic and am sensitive to these things, so it's not like I'm some guy who puts around, doesn't come close to the limits and then talks out of his ass.

After the last covered service where they changed out the rotors and pads, the squeal went away and did not return in almost 10k miles before I swapped out to powerstops, so the squeal wasn't bothering me. What did bother me was the dust. After washing and cleaning the wheels, you could see the dusting on them after a few trips.

My assessment is that they are good enough and it's great not to see dirty wheels a few days after washing the car! I did find the limit where repeated stops from high speed induced fade, but I'm not planning on tracking this SAV. I have confidence that mashing the brakes will haul the car down without problem for that occasional blast of speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstracted View Post
How are the Powerstop pads in regards to how linear the braking is?

I think my M has stock and they are not linear, meaning that when I'm coming to a full stop, when slowing down to roughly 10mph, they start to grab like crazy. I have to really feather the peddle so that it's a nice linear comfortable stop. Otherwise, if I keep the same amount of pressure on the peddle, I'll stop too soon.

Last edited by ekological; 09-21-2021 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0