10-22-2021, 09:13 PM   #122
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Interesting how merc is using variable rate heave springs and matching preload to aero load on the straights. It explains why they have been running such large rear wings for the last few races. I have no doubt Newey would have identified this pretty quickly, his absence certainly had an impact on RBR. I’m curious how weather/elevation dependent this is. High speed corners would negate some of the advantage and they probably have to max the PU and adjust gearing but it’s working so far.

Merc got the math correct on this, I can see other teams attempting to emulate this with spectacular failure.
Yeah it's a pretty interesting concept.

And yeah if it's done wrong you could loose so much down force on corerning elading to a major crash. Also you have to factor in suspension upsets like bump, what happens if you hit a bump while under a high amount of down force will the suspension completely compress?

I'm sure newey is also working on it, but the question comes down to how the rb16b's already twitchy rear end will adapt to this. Will alot of suspension work need to be done? Idk but im looking forward to it.
MKSixer34192.50