01-20-2024, 04:16 PM   #88
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
My big fear when we build down at our SC tree farm is that the septic will blow out a junction box and send effluent streaming into the lake. I plan to put a french drain channel between the leach field and shoreline as a mitigation, even though it is not required by code.....
One of my first projects as an environmental geologist way back when was at a Home Depot that was under construction. There was a major storm coming (some hurricane, can't remember which one). The contractor who owned a tractor trailer sized dump truck didn't want his trailer filled with water, so he left the bed raised before the storm. Turned out to be a bad move. The hydraulic hose to the bed-raising piston blew out right as the storm started. All that hydraulic fluid leaked out into the oil/water separator in the parking lot drain. But there was so much water that the hydraulic fluid ended up in the nearby swamp, which was hydraulically connected to the local reservoir. We managed to prevent the hydraulic fluid from advancing past the swamp, but it was a costly mistake for that truck owner.

And then there was the home owner of a very nice house in a ritzy neighborhood who had a sump pump in his basement within a few feet of a 175 gallon heating oil tank. The sump pump outfall pipe went out to his backyard, which bordered a wetlands. Murphy's Law took effect and his heating oil tanked leaked. All that heating oil ended up in his yard and the wetlands. Plus his entire house smelled strongly of heating oil.

TLDR: Shit happens, so be prepared.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615595.00