03-23-2024, 09:52 AM   #129
noemon
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by noemon View Post
You are looking at this all wrong.

The vast majority of the planet does not charge students for education.

Think of it this way instead, why should you work to pay for your mech engineering, when a German, French, Dane, Swede doesn't pay anything to get the same degree.

Why should all Americans be burdened with extreme uni fees, when the Chinese or the Europeans aren't?

Evidently, if the US wants to be part of the civilised world, if it wants to be just towards its citizens when compared to other countries and if it wants to increase young families, procreation and such, not only should it cancel all student debt but also cancel all university fees too, forever.

But you actually are.

You are directly responsible for not only allowing but also for arguing in favour of a system that charges fees for education. You are directly responsible for being unable to comprehend that education and health are public goods in advanced industrialised societies provided for free for the advancement & betterment of the country itself. You are also directly responsible for failing to comprehend that health and education in the US already cost more money to the taxpayer to be private than it costs for other countries to provide them both for free on a per capita basis. This is nuts. Medicine costs? Another US scandal, why do American-made medicine in Greece and Italy cost something like 1/100 of what they cost in the US? And why aren't you the US taxpayer already on the streets tearing the whole thing down for such obvious profiteering on your backs?

You are of course directly responsible for allowing your government, hospitals and universities to rob you and others blind. Because not only you have not done anything to change this system but you are defending it too.
I just want to add a couple of things to my post so to not get misunderstood.

1) I do not believe that Biden or the Democrats are capable of performing this kind of major reform.

2) I do not believe that all student debt should be cancelled if education fees are not cancelled at the same time.

3) If the government wants to cancel debt as a pre-election giveaway without cancelling fees, then the cancellation of debt should be income specific and not apply to everybody as that will create massive inflationary pressures so the cancellation of debt should be restricted for those who genuinely suffer from it.

4) Such major reforms as the ones I propose can only be undertaken on a bi-partisan basis.

5) Come elections, I will be supporting Trump. Reason is, I want the Ukraine war to be over and he is only one who will deliver this.
Appreciate 0