View Single Post
      05-03-2024, 10:24 AM   #11
Ravina
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 335i, 2007 e90 335i

Thank you MORX5d for your detailed commented. I think I have the same problem as my errors have now come back after working for a week. I’m not a mechanic so hopefully your procedure is relatively simple to do for a newbie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORX5d View Post
From Ravina - weird thing happened to me. All 4 problems went away a few days ago. I’m assuming this means there’s a loose wire somewhere. Not sure if a scanner can diagnose this issue ?

Hi Ravina - unfortunately you will not get to the bottom of this with a code scanner. ISTA runs you through a diagnostic procedure to check wiring and then if that fails it suggests replacing the steering wheel module. As brianhinton77 suggests, this could also be in the clock spring. I am travelling for the next month but after that I expect to replace the module again and also once again inspect the wiring harness. Failing these steps I will have to investigate the clock spring.

Note that each situation could be different. I am also convinced mine occurs mostly on high humidity days so try to keep an eye on the problem and humidity/weather. It’s a slow process to figure this out. Whether it’s a loose wire or failing module, from what I can see there is a brief loss of a communication signal on the Lin bus.

It is now April 28/24 and I’ve gone a week without a cruise control/lane departure malfunction. After replacing the module for a second time and still getting the error, I had a closer look at the wiring harness. It seemed that some of the connectors did not provide a tight connection to the pins in the wheel sockets. Rather than install a new harness, I carefully applied some sideways pressure on the pins (battery disconnected) so that they would sit differently in the connector (more side friction). The poorest connection seemed to be the power connector with just two pins.
Appreciate 0