09-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #56
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
well in the performance/mpg rating they have a HUGE gap..
the 335 get's around 25mpg combined in road and track testing compared to 16mpg for the s5. plus audi's do break quite a bit more.

if you drive the 2 there is no comparison in the quality of the bmw's drive compared to the s5 which definitely felt front heavy hence numb steering feel. audi still needs to learn how to build cars without using cheaper vw parts and understand how important a near 50/50 weight distribution is. i was shocked it could go through a slalom as fast as it does b/c it definitely didn't feel as stable as a 335 let alone an m3. and there are still many many more bmw's out there then audi.. but the are getting closer. bmw will spice things up accordingly for the next batch of 3's starting with the new 3 sedan but we are a few years away from that.. in the meantime our mpg difference is 10 mpg with near same performance between the s5 and 335. that right there says audi is behind!! and the s5 isn't meant to compete with the m3 the rs4 and soon rs5 will. hell the 335 is faster stock than an audi s6.and that has a v10. if anything when you look at the power output and mpg consistently you will see the bmw ahead and sometimes in the 335 and s5 way ahead!!
Can I ask you something, is the 335i as quick as a 550i, that too is a very large capacity 4.8L engine which gups gas almost as bad as either the S5 or S6. Audi chose the v8 engine for the S5 not so much for performance but for how it makes to car feel. The 3.0Bi-turbo in the 335i is a good engine, a great one in fact but it's got not passion or character apart from it's performance.

OK you dislike the way the S5 feels, I agree the steering is a little numb but it's grip and cornering ability is without question. It will both out handle and out grip the 335i on any road track and I know for sure that given a day's training in one you will push the S5 harder into and out of any corner than you could with your 335i.

Best forget the S5 as a true rival to the 335i, it's been aimed between it and the M3, in a no-man's land. Best look at the S4 when it comes out to see how it stacks up to the 335i, it will have similar power and torque, similar economy and will even out handle the S5. I'm guessing they will find to harder to chose an outright winner.
Appreciate 0