11-09-2008, 06:41 AM   #10
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshanny View Post
Thanks for the info Mikeo. Are you suggesting the thicker spring pads because they would lift the car less than re-installing the stock springs, or do you think the Eibachs are stiffer than the stock springs and that will therefore help with the handling?

I ran a search and found one guy who installed the Eibach Pro Kit springs, but he went with Koni FSDs, not Koni Sports, and I don't think he mentioned how the car handled after the install. In any case, I'll just give the car a spin tomorrow, which should tell me how well the new set up works. Btw, where did you get the E82 alignment specs - do you have an E82 shop manual?
The Eibachs are somewhat stiffer than the OE springs and usually a little less spring rate than H&R springs--somewhere in between OE and H&R. Although I don't know the actual spring rates of the E82 Eibachs, I'm just going from spring comparisons on other BMW models (E36, E46). Spring pads are a method of slightly changing ride height on non-coilover suspensions--they usually don't change handling. If spring pads are available for the E82 the height change would likely be in the range of 5 - 7mm, definitely less than going back to OE springs.

I don't have a manual with alignment specs. Early on I had my BMW dealer remove the alignment pins and do a performance alignment (I autocross), so I had the printout with the BMW E82 range of alignment specs.