View Single Post
      06-23-2023, 12:55 PM   #63
f15g8tr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Cleared drains...

Hi All,
I've run into the clogged sunroom drain issue on my 2017 X5 a couple of times now. I've tried the trimmer line trick without success... I wasn't ever able to make the turn that's about 6" into the drain tube.

Ultimately, I was able to get the drain flowing using a flexible silicon drinking straw and my air compressor.

I used a flexible silicone drinking straw that's about 3/8" outer diameter and 1/4" inner diameter. I was able to feed the straw about 2" into the drain hole before it wouldn't go further. It fit snuggly but wasn't tight - loose enough to allow air to backflow rather than over-pressurizing the drain tube and causing a bigger problem. I set my compressor to about 90 psi regulated pressure... and carefully forced air through the straw and drain. Air did backflow so be careful if you have standing water in the channel - It'll may blowback water on you.

See attached photos... hopefully this helps someone else!

Side note... the first time this happened, the headliner near the passenger visor was wet and the passenger floor was very wet. I pulled back the carpet and put fans on the car for a few days to dry out the floor. Thought I'd dried it out pretty well, but unfortunately ended up having an electrical issue a few months later. It manifested as a variety of malfunctions (drivetrain, airbags, etc.). Turned out to be a wet electrical wiring bundle in the passenger floor area.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0