View Single Post
      03-22-2023, 12:25 PM   #27
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangfu84 View Post
Do you mean to say you drove it hard on occasion without letting the car warm up? I normally just start the car, wait 30 seconds and drive off slowly, regular driving for about 10 mins before I'd even consider giving it some.

Sophisticated Redneck - I've been interested in using LM MOS2 but haven't seen many others mentioning it around here. Has it been confirmed with LM that it is safe for the S63? Same goes with engine flush, Ceratec etc. Do you use those also?
Its use is rare, I know of only of a handful of others that use it. Most oil additives are B.S. and the stigma that surrounds it muddies the waters when something that works is found. I only switched to 5-40 & Mos2 after reading about so many engine failures years ago and wanted to protect my engine as much as possible. Anecdotal yes but something must be said of engines that are now 11 years old, pushing 5400lbs, closing in on 200,000 miles, and still cranking out 600+ hp with sub 3.6 0-60 times and mid 11's in the 1/4.

I run Certec once every 30-40k miles and 2 cans of Mos2 with every 5000 mile oil change (do not run them both at the same time). I run LM 5-40 oil also but any quality 5-40 will do.

I can only give you information from my experience and the few others I know that run Mos2 on this platform. The N63/S63 & TU variant engines are identical when it comes to what we are discussing here - Oil pumps, bearings, rods. BMW does not recommend any additives however it is important to keep in mind BMW is not your friend when it comes to oil & its recommendations. All oil recommendations serve CARB regulations & profit first, reliability & drive train life is a distant second.

A quick call to your dealer to schedule a transmission oil change will confirm how much BMW has your interests in mind. You will be told it is "Lifetime" and never needs to be changed, directly going against what ZF, the maker of your transmission, recommends. I think of BMW as a company with brilliant engineers headed by a diabolical management/marketing team. (Monthly fees for heated seats anyone?)

What I recommend is to look at the data and read up on MoS2, there is some solid science behind it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide

I would also change to a 5-40 weight oil and look into getting higher octane, here is a link to a map of E85 in Oz: https://www.glpautogas.info/en/ethan...australia.html Mix in 4 gallons with each fill-up. If you monitor your air/fuel ratios, you can play around with finding the perfect mix for your tune but 4 gallons per tank is a great starting point . It boosts performance (you will notice a bump in HP due to the timing increase) while at the same time adding protection against pre-ignition. It is worth the hassle to mix in.
Appreciate 0