03-23-2023, 04:32 PM   #34
I Luv BMW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F86 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by WZS_M View Post
That seems very expensive for the engine. You can go on ebay, buy a refurbished S63 for $8-10K US. There's currently one for sale for $8k usd. I'm sure shipping would add a bunch to AUS but way better than $27k AUD for a used motor. Keep searching or find a shop that will rebuild your motor as long as it doesn't have a hole in the block. IMO you should stay away from anything that's been in a flood, especially at that price. Whatever you do moving forward, let the new engine warm up and bring your oil change intervals down to no more than 10,000km if you like to be hard on the engine. Oil changes are cheap compared to engine rebuilds
Thanks for your reply. Yes it is expensive, but the sheer lack of availability in Aus seems to be that AUD22-27K is the market price. I would prefer to go down the rebuild route but virtually no shops around here seem to have much experience with rebuilding an S63 motor. As soon as they hear seized engine - then they will say replace engine.

All the decent looking ones I have seen on eBay are from Germany and are used engines, not rebuilt ones. That USD price seems quite similar to the RK Autowerks price, although I found out that that price is for an engine swap with the damaged engine (otherwise pay core deposit), so prices still end up roughly the same. Other one I have seen is pure performance, who don't offer international shipping.

Would you mind please sharing a link to the one that you mention?

Noted on the engine warm up and oil change intervals. Learnt a very expensive and painful lesson here. I could search but since I am already typing - if I topping up the oil between changes, and assuming correct oil is being used, what benefit does the more regular oil change interval provide? Just cleaner oil going in more regularly? Chance to analysis oil for metal bits and preventative maintenance, etc.?
Appreciate 0