View Single Post
      01-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #56
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

In my experience, being a car enthusiast is the WORST type of customer for your average dealership/salesman. You know why? We know what we want. We're picky, particular, and know what we're talking about. Nobody can sell us a car we haven't already sold ourselves, which means they probably aren't going to win us over on another in stock unit that they have fatter margins on or with different options they just want to dump ASAP.

I knew my BMW salesman personally. He was in my (extended) group of friends, and he wouldn't even bother to go over BMW Individual options with me. I felt like I was wasting his time at certain points. I was originally interested in a manual 340i - he just let me take it for a test drive by myself. Later, I found out why - a mutual friend (fellow car enthusiast) told me that the salesman said he didn't even think I was going to buy anything. I guess I duped him when I ordered a M3 instead.

He did give me a great deal though, especially for a custom order, and so as a friend he helped me out, but as a salesman, he failed terribly. Too bad, probably could have talked me into some Individual options had he given enough of a crap.

Point is, I thought that knowing exactly what you wanted made the dealership's job easier. That's only true if the salesman cares as you do about finding the perfect car for you. It's possible that Porsche embraces this approach a little more, since our type is far more common there I would guess. But for any other brand who sells econoboxes or luxury vehicles, they want you in and out as fast as possible with what they have on hand, so just get to the point and start negotiating.

Just my experience though.
Appreciate 0