View Single Post
      08-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #8
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmQuattro View Post
I really want to get back into a smaller, lighter manual coupe. Not to replace the M4, but just for special week-end drives and track outings.

I like 911 coupes and am considering a manual 997.1, but they are so expensive down here, about US $60k for a 10 year old car.
this is nearly the same price as a new M2, or double a 15 year old E46 M3

Over a 10 year period, the M2 will have lost a lot more value than the 911 and the E46 M3.

Are 911's really worth the extra premium? Will they be a good longer term investment?
I just recently purchased a 997.2 Carrera S while cross shopping an M2C and F80 M3. To be fair, I already have an E36 M3 / E46 M3 / E90 M3 and while it was tempting to add to the " M3 lineage", I knew I have always wanted a Porsche and that desire added a lot of weight to a decision. Driving it really just sealed the deal. It's a completely different experience to the BMWs and I relish the opportunity to challenge myself to drive it well.

As an additional car, I wasn't too preoccupied with something that matched the other cars' character or all out speed. In fact, I wanted something that felt completely different...and I think adding a Porsche to your garage would certainly do just that. The slower depreciation certainly is icing on the cake. It may not have the oomph of your M4, but if you were looking for that, I'd just drive the M4.

I think the M2 is nice, but a bit too similar to the M3 / M4 to consider owning at the same time (and not much lighter to boot).
Dackelone10588.50