05-09-2016, 06:05 PM   #78
Class5Kayaker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F15, 2014 Porsche 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se View Post
installed over the weekend, so offering some additional tips. its a really impressive hitch, the instructions are perfect, and the wiring harness is very impressive. all oem.

1. when you pull off the side valances the 4th tab, a white piece, will pop off. remove it from the car and slip it into its groove on the valance. easier to install that way.

2. you need an 18 or 19mm deep socket to get the bolts off.

3. my design for the trailer pin connector was different, and it sits up behind the bumper. really tight fit, but no cutting needed.

4. after the wiring was complete i got a trailer light warning. im hoping the wiring isnt messed up, and it just needs coding, but i cant find the codes for this, only the zoom. so, tbc.

5. run the wiring harness before the bumper/hitch is installed. its easier to route everything behind it.
Did you ever get this resolved? I had a similar/same issue last night. Once I got everything buttoned back up and fired up the car I got an error in the iDrive Screen and on the Dash. I got this error before ever trying to hook up my trailer to the harness.

In an attempt to troubleshoot the problem, I hooked up my "trailer" (It's a Thule Cargo Box for trailer hitches with lights) and all the lights functioned properly except the left blinker. When I turned on the hazards, the left trailer light did not blink and when I turned on the left blinker the trailer light didn't blink and the car's left rear blinker blinked rapidly (it blinked normally without the trailer hooked up). The taillights of the trailer functioned properly otherwise (they illuminated with headlights and got brighter when the brakes were applied).

After emailing Daryl at InvisiHitch, he gave me a few things to try:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
Thanks for sending all the details... very helpful when diagnosing from afar. The following really caught my attention:
"I got this error before ever trying to hook up my trailer to the harness."

The most common problem that causes dash warnings immediately is inserting one (or both) of the two CAN wires into the wrong slot of the vehicle's 26-pin connector. So please check that again. You may need a flashlight and a magnifier to read the tiny slot numbers on the black plastic connector. Here are some photos showing the correct positions:
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...8#post19462708

Another cause is forgetting to connect the small 2-pin CANbus plug.

One other cause I have seen only rarely: the factory failed to put a fuse in one of the fusebox locations used by the hitch harness.

If all 3 of the above are correct, then you probably received a defective controller. But usually zero trailer lights work when the controller is bad.

Please let me know what you find.

Daryl
So I went and checked all my connections for a fifth time. They were all correct. But Daryl's comment about the 2-pin CANbus plug made me decide to disconnect and reconnect it again. NO ISSUES AFTER THAT!!! I hooked up my Thule Box to verify. It must have not been seated perfectly. Just in case it's a bad (i.e. not perfect) connector, I zip tied it down to the main wiring loom so it doesn't move around at all.

24 hours later, still no issues.

Hopefully this helps you out if you haven't solved your issue yet. If you've already fixed your malfunction, maybe this tip will help a future DIY'er.

2016 BMW F15 xDrive 35i - Imperial Blue Metallic
2014 Porsche 991- Sapphire Blue Metallic

Last edited by Class5Kayaker; 05-09-2016 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0