View Single Post
      11-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

I don't recall the specific source that mentioned this to me, but I've had this debate with several friends in various roles at a few manufacturers. Two factors are involved here.

First, there's a provision somewhere in the DOT FMVSS 108 code that specifies a certain percentage of a lamp needs to illuminate for braking and directional indicating. Manufacturers are getting creative with automotive lighting thanks to LEDs, light tubes, etc. Designs and patterns are possible now that weren't before. However, sometimes these patterns just don't work with our outdated laws.

In the case of the X5 and X6, the segmented nature of the taillights means that not enough "surface area" lights up when indicating braking or turning. To accomplish what was necessary, the pattern had to change for the US market. In order to do so, a single color was necessary so that everything matched because of the dual function.

The design of the X5 taillight is basically 5 segments. From top to bottom, and inside | outside:

1 - running lights (or the top of the L design)
2 - running lights (bottom of the L design)
3 - brake lamp (US/RoW) | brake lamp (US/RoW)
4 - reverse - turn signal (RoW) / emergency brake flash/BFD (US) | brake lamp (US) / turn signal (RoW)
5 - rear fog

Cars that don't have the euro taillights actually look a bit better to me, but only when braking. The added slice of light provides additional visibility that "hey, I'm stopping". I feel at times my lights look a bit thin. Same with the turn signals. But it's that personal observation that reinforces the DOT rules. They could have made the inner turn signal flash amber (for indicating) but it technically wouldn't be legal.

The second is all about cost. While BMW is upmarket, variations in the exchange rate mean they try to cost cut just about everywhere they can. Since amber isn't a requirement, they use red LEDs which are less expensive. We get no rear fogs, as another example. Other car makers do, like Audi and Volvo. And the list goes on. This doesn't necessarily apply fully to the X5 (since it is built here in the US), but does on other models. [EDIT: there are rear fogs in the US tails, but internal lamp circuitry and wiring makes them impossible to activate. If you get the switch, code, etc. only the BFD lamp will illuminate. It costs less to just add the LEDs than it does to add the switch + wiring, so like many manufacturers, BMW just builds them this way.]

And another point with respect to cost cutting - wiring. The taillights I retrofitted required extra wiring. This costs money. On one vehicle it was nothing, but across thousands it adds up. The US wiring was less complicated, which can also translate into less maintenance.

BMW isn't the only one guilty of this. My partner and I just bought a 2015 GTI Autobahn. Instead of coming with the beautiful LED taillights available overseas, it came with generic incandescent ones. Brake and turn are combined. Following him home the other day in bright sunlight, I can say that they're pretty horrible and are difficult to distinguish. LED would have made them better. Amber would have made them perfect. Fortunately a retrofit kit (with a harness) is available, and I just ordered it for his car.

Just my opinion. Until our laws get updated, things like this are just going to happen. And even if the laws are updated, importers may still choose to keep things "red" so their balance sheets remain black.