Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
Well...under $200...durability.

Rolex GMTII/Daytons...style.

Looking at a VC Patrimony because I'm getting older
Off Topic:
Awesome watch and one about which the only negative thing I have to say is that it's expensive. I toyed with buying a VC, but didn't because the thing I think that sets VC apart from its closest peers/competitors is that VC offer artful and very stylish watches whereas PP, AP, JLC, and ALS really don't.

For example, each of those makers, along with many others, offers something that roughly looks like a Patrimony or Traditionnelle. None of them offers anything that looks like VC's Malte, Historiques, 1972 or Metiers d'Art models.

I'm a firm believer in buying from a maker that which reflects the maker's distinctive competency. Many makers have among their core skills the ability and track record of making fine watches. VC is just one such maker.

Of course and by all means, buy whatever you want. I don't really care what you choose. I'm merely sharing my thoughts for there's no such thing as a "bad" VC watch to buy. At that level of watchmaking, it's not about what's better and what's worse. I'm merely suggesting that you may want to try on some of the less dear conservative and traditionally styled watches before you spring for a Patrimony.

Since you are considering a Patrimony, I suggest taking a gander at a Piaget Altiplano. It to has the contemporary-ish conservative looks of an uncomplicated Patrimony, and it adds in the craftsmanship "chops" of being ultra thin and automatic, although there is also a manual version offered. (The face of the manual and automatic are different.) I also suggest checking out an AP Jules Audemar (JA) because in addition to getting AP's 2120 movement (it's the movement in the RO "Jumbo" (152) which is the one collectors generally seek over the 3120 (154)), although if you aren't a stickler about keeping on a strict service schedule, the JA may not be your best choice.

I think the clear bang-for-the-buck winner in conservative, uncomplicated, round-type watches that use markers rather than digits/numerals are the JLC Master Control and JLC Master Ultra Thin.

I point these things out not to criticize the Patrimony but only to share what I know about the watches. I don't think, as I wrote above, that "which is better" is at issue in any way. It's just a matter of knowing what one is getting before one spends the money, going into things with "eyes wide open," rather than going in thinking X and after paying, discovering Y.

How does that apply to VC? VC has for so many, many years, like no small quantity of their competitors, used JLC, Lemania, and F. Piguet based movements that they (VC) in turn finish and install in their watches. VC's access to Lemania and F. Piguet ebauches (complete, but unassembled, unfinished watch movement parts) has waned considerably, but not so re: what they can get from JLC. Both are members of the Richemont Group. In fact, VC has used so many "other folks' " ebauches that I can't even keep up with them, and long since gave up trying. (http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...89#msg_7038220)

There's clearly nothing wrong with choosing the Patrimony, and if there's something you seek in the Patrimony that no other maker offers, well, you don't have any choice -- you have to buy the Patrimony. So what I'm saying is that before you plunk down $15K+ on a Patrimony, be sure that you know what VC have stuck inside it and whether you are willing to pay VC ~$5K - $8K more for what you can get by buying a, say, JLC, Breguet, or Blancpain.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0