07-08-2019, 11:19 PM   #109
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMac40 View Post
I am about the same as the guy above on rim size, however I found another size that I was thinking about.

I have done a ton of research on this, and ready to pull the trigger on what size, but I wanted to get last minute opinions.

So I just bought some 22" rims for my X6M. 10" wide up front, 11" in the rear.

Factory front 275-40-20
Factory rear 315-35-20

So, the perfect sizes to get, to get about as close to factor circumference and aspect ratio between front and rear is:
Front - 285-30-22
Rear - 295-30-22

However, I want just a tad more tire for a little more rim protection, and a tad better ride. So I am thinking of the following sizes:

Front - 265-35-22 (thinner than factory)
Rear - 315-30-22

These sizes keeps the front to rear ratio at less than 1% difference so no error codes or anything like that, that I can tell... However it will be giving me a tad over 2" full circumference (1" taller sidewall), but just over 2% bigger than factory. My speedo would not even be off by 2 mph.

So the question, if I do go the bigger set, which is more or less just 1 size up from factory, will I cause any real issues with gearing or computer stuff? I get it that my speedo will be off just a tad, but its not like I am putting dramatically bigger tires up, heck most could not even visually tell the difference.

I do realize I will loose some performance, which is fine, this is purely for the looks of it. If I need to go fast, or winter time I will be putting the factory wheels back on, not like I am getting rid of them or anything.

Any real cons to going with the slightly bigger tires? Or a tad thinner front tire?
Interesting here. Where to start..
First off factory spec is 285/40-20 and 325/35-20 so that's what you want to compare your 22" against. 275 and 315, make me wonder if you are running DWS, which are not factory recommended but a good all season option that people swap to. Is that what you are running or some other all season option?

265/35 is actually going to give you less rim protection and a thinner sidewall for a rougher ride which is exactly opposite of what you stated you desired.

With a 295/30-22 front and 335/25-22 rear compared to factory spec, you actually have no effect on the front diameter and just gain in width. The front sidewall will be reduced by about an inch, so you may have a rougher ride up front. Rears get a smaller diameter by 0.4" which will have negligible effect on your speed; progressive graduated change up to 1mph up to speed of 70mph. Again you get the gain in width and reduction in sidewall, this time by about 1.2" less sidewall.

This is probably the most advantageous set-up in comparison to factory as it has the least overall change from factory spec.
Appreciate 0