View Single Post
      07-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #391
TortugaX5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 X5 X35i

So, my 8 month old X5's iDrive computer conked out this week. In previous posts in the 'issues' section, I along with many other owners have noted that their iDrive system stops working intermittently and then the display shows 'no signal' before booting back up. I had taken in the truck for service on the system about two months ago and they updated the software and sent me on my way. Since then, I've put about 2,500 miles on it. In those 2.5k miles, I've had the iDrive reboot it's self maybe a 2-3 times. Not a big deal - but now it's another story.

This past Tuesday, as I was backing out of my parking spot in my condo's covered garage, the screen went black and the entertainment system fell silent. I assumed this would resolve it's self like other hiccups in the past. However, after 48+ hours the screen and controller were non-responsive to commands. The HUD was not displaying any iDrive controls, such as the Sirus radio stations as you scroll on the steering wheel or voice commands. I parked the car and sat in idle for about 15 minutes and attempted the old 'restart' method from previous models (hold mute button and eject for ~30sec), but to no avail. I did notice that the cd player sounded like it was trying to spin up and then it would stop. It would also periodically (every other minute) turn on static (like it was searching for a station on FM/AM) and then it would cut off. During this time the screen would cycle between 'no signal' and completely off.

I called into the BMW geniuses this morning and was told that there was likely something loose and that the computer wasn't sending a signal to the screen. I wasn't happy to hear that, but figured I'd schedule an appointment with my SA and try to get it sorted out. Luckily, they have a time available...in two weeks.

No entertainment for two weeks - what will a man do with his time on the road?

But that's not all. After doing a day-hike this evening, I started up the car and voila the iDrive system turned on and the screen began to work. BUT, all of my connected drive and satellite services were GONE. My computer appears to have been reverted back to factory settings of a base model. All of my profiles and settings have been wiped, as well. Im called back in to the BMW genius line and was told that my computer likely went through a 'full power-cycle' which should only have occurred if I had not driven the car for a few months (ie. went on a long vacation - or drive my other car during the summer months) but that's not the case here. He was worried about this being something much more 'intensive' and requiring parts and labor.

Long story short - iDrive shit the bed.

So, has anyone else had this happen? has anyone had their computer replaced?