View Single Post
      10-22-2020, 12:17 PM   #11
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Had similar issues as you, problem was caused by running michelens up front and hankooks in back, cheap hankooks had different circumference even though it should have been same, some tire manufacturers just lie.

Pulling fuse on transfer case is easy way to test if it's causing issues, will force into 2wd mode.

Besides calibration, ISTA also has a full diagnostic test built in for the transfer case. You have to manually add the transfer case as having problems and tell ISTA to build a test plan if you don't have any more codes.

Don't rebuild your transfer case yet until you eliminate more variables. I am at 160k miles on orginal transfer case from previous gen (your transfer case is a updated version of the unit in mine). I was in similar boat as you about 30k miles ago when I almost spent money to rebuild mine before finding true cause. Even if you do all work yourself, your looking at close to a grand in parts and tools.

Get new MAF's too, not worth it to take chances just on cleaning. They can make you chase your tail trying to find issues.
I appreciate your reply. I have Michelin Pilot SS's all around, 285/35r21 in front and 325/30r21s in the rear. Based on google, the rears are 0.2" smaller diameter than the fronts.

Ill see if I can find the diagnostic test in ISTA, hopefully that'll shed light on what the problem really is...if it is the xfer case.

I was trying to hold off until 60k to do all the fluids & plugs but I may have to move that up to 50k for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0