View Single Post
      01-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
When I fitted Michelin Pilot Super Sports, I just put a spare wheel/tire in the back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
Get the spare that goes in the trunk. I did that for peace of mind.
+1 the spare donut in the trunk is IMO the best solution, and I prefer it over the repair kit. Why?:
1. I don't carry compact spare nor a repair kiet around town. I have tow coverage, many new BMWs have assist, and many also have AAA. If you get a flat, just get it flat bedded home and deal with it on your own terms later. You really going to have your wife use the puncture kit on the side of the highway, when she's 10 minutes away from home?

2. Run flats is only to get you safely for a few more miles so you can pull aside. It's not a long-term long distance solution. Neither is a puncture kit.

3. If you have a flat in BFE, you're screwed regardless of type of tire or DIY repair, especially if you have the OE 20 inch tires. You're going to be held hostage by the only tire shop in town for over $300 to get you a rear tire shipped AND you're waiting at least 1 day for the tire.

4. with compact spare, just throw it on and you're on your way for the rest of your vacation.

This is what it looks like with the spare and tools in my E70.

This picture shows the compact spare (fully inflated), with OE scissors jack tool fit nicely in a plastic bag.

Also in the trunk are:

1. 2 piece baby stroller
2. Large picnic quilt
3. Graco Pack n Play
4. Flat bag containing a Baby Bjorn and dining table lobster claw
5. Plastic Fisher Price high chair (green bag, moved to the left to show the spare
6. And a bag of chips

... pretty much the spare takes up 1/3 of the space under the cargo cover. Picture speaks louder than words, more than enough space left for 3 weekend bags and a misc bag of kids stuff.

Again all this fits UNDER the cargo cover. I will move the green bag on front of the spare, which creates even more room. Also note the 40/60 passenger side seat back is jacked all the way back for the kids seat in row 2. There will be more room if it's normally upright

Last edited by Flying Ace; 01-18-2017 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
P111572.00