View Single Post
      06-02-2015, 10:42 PM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
The only reason why I started looking at Hikvision is because one of my 720p cameras failed, and they don't sell them any longer. This turned into a ton of research, reading and making decisions on which brand to go with. I am not using the Hikvision NVR, but rather my PC. Right now I'm running five 720p cameras and one 1080p camera (my second Hikvision is not installed yet) and my PC barely breaks 30% CPU utilization. I wonder what it'll do once I have six or eight 1080p cameras though.

The PTZs are very nice, but yes, they are a bit too bulky for me to mount them on my house. Not sure if I'd need it either, although it would be a fun toy. Some of the 20x optical zooms are very impressive. There is a guy on one of the forum who tracked himself all the way to McDonalds or something.

I've also been impressed by how quick the video image goes from my system to my mobile device, even with poor signal on my phone. On my old system, it used to take minutes sometime. With the Hikvisions, it's up less than a second or two. Even in the highest picture quality, I don't have many issues.
The reason I opted for an appliance NVR instead of a PC is for concealment. I haven't done this yet, but I plan on hiding the NVR some place in the house that I can run an Ethernet cable to along with available power. I also plan on having a small UPS to power the NVR. The foot print of the NVR and a small UPS should provide me with plenty of concealment options.

The site I've posted reviews of the Hikvision also did a test of the Dahua I'm considering. He has video of the PTZ function of the Dahua and it's very very impressive. The speed/response and the image quality is just shocking. But I'm also following your line of thinking that a PTZ is a nice to have toy. I'm thinking about just adding another Hikvision 3332 and calling it a day along with saving myself a lot of money in the process.

I also like the fact I can have different user logins for the cameras. The Hikvision I'm using for a baby cam...I have a couple of user accounts set up on it. One which my wife and I use and another that I have given to my in laws to connect up over the Internet. Plus I can set permissions on what they can and can't do with the camera.
Appreciate 0