P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I'm using two of these APC 1500VA UPS':

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...se_sku=BR1500G

As far as power outage goes, the UPS' are only there to keep the systems powered up for the short time my backup generator kicks in. I have a 20kW generator that will power the entire house.

Yes, you can connect the NVR to its own monitor via a VGA port. The NVR comes with generic USB optical mouse that you use to point an click. There's no provision for the use of a keyboard. Logging in is done via an onscreen virtual keyboard. When you're done using the local config GUI, the background screen displays all the active cameras reporting in to the NVR. So you can have the monitor up and running all the time to allow you to see what's going on. After configuring the NVR, I don't bother leaving a monitor on it. You can get to the NVR via IP address on your web browser which allows full access to all functions and video. When I'm home, I can just hit the IP and get to the NVR. When I'm away from home, I use an VPN to connect in to get access to the NVR. I don't feel comfortable exposing the NVR and the associated cameras directly to the Internet.
I assume you have port forwarding on HTTP and HTTPS turned off, and just have the port open on your NVR? Do you think that with a strong password, it's easy to enter the NVR (without a VPN)?
Appreciate 0