View Single Post
      05-20-2016, 05:09 PM   #362
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_bimmer View Post
Almaretto, may I ask why HUD and rattling should be of a particular concern? I asked service ppl about HUD and they say it happens from time to time, although my other bimmers didn't have that problem.

Rattling, I thought that nyc and tristate area generally kill the drivetrain and suspension on any car after a while, and that's just an early sign of it. My 435i developed rattles and squeaks in about 3-4 months of city driving (midtown&downtown mostly).

As for the LT, yes, half of the time the auto mode still lets the fumes in, half time its ok, but I wish it could keep them out of the car at least 80-90% of the time, as I am sensitive to fumes too.
All issues are of concern, especially early in ownership. But, some can be relative.

I guess I would have to see the HUD issue in person and get a better sense of how bad and frequent it was. Like you, I have not had similar HUD issues on any vehicles so that makes me concerned as well. The only trouble I have had with my HUD is when I manually toggled on and off to test what would be displayed on the dash (eg. turn-by-turn navigation will not simultaneously show in KOMBI dash instrument cluster and HUD); all the features did not immediately come back without restarting vehicle.

Comparatively, knowing that a the CEL can occur just from gas fumes alone, I would be less concerned if it came on just briefly. Additionally, I do have BMW diagnostic software that I can use to diagnose or provide additional details for any dash errors if they stay on for any extended period of time.

I cannot speak for driving in the NYC and tristate area as I only had a vehicle when I was in Boston and Western Massachusettes. The roads were pretty good, more so in Boston. My cars did not develop rattles. I have lived in other northeast cities, but was not driving so likely did not pay as close attention to the roads and their affect on my vehicles.
There were no repairs in California for over 10 years due to road maintenance freeze. Some of the roads were and still are so bad in Southern California that I was really glad I had tire insurance because I was frequently getting patched or new tires. They also are really bad on RFT, especially if recommended PSI are not maintained. One vehicle needed 3 tires in six months and all 4 were replaced at least one time in a year to year and a half. However, I did not develop any rattles. Though, unlike the HUD issue, I have read about other F15 drivers developing rattles and struggling with SA's to diagnose and resolve the issue; good luck.

For climate control, I am referring to the Automatic recirculated-air control/recirculated-air mode (#14 in image). I am not sure how good the filters are, but I believe they are meant more for larger particles. When buying air purifiers for my home, I had to do my research and realize there is a range of quality so not all will block fumes or smoke compared to dust and pollen particles. For the car, unfortunately auto mode does not sense and must be toggled; yet, the car must be programmed to reset or driver needs to toggle back to auto to avoid the air getting stale and affecting interior humidity. The new 7-series climate controls and automated system is superior as well as it even has changeable scents.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW F10 Manual - Climate Controls.pdf (956.1 KB, 560 views)
Appreciate 1