11-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexk1012 View Post
Thank you! ... Just figured the gauge would show full with just less range instead of being less range AND not entirely full.
Yeah...that gauge isn't really clearly explained in the owners manual.

There's also other "range" related things that gauge will show..which again...is not about "fullness" of the tank...but about a visual indication of how far you can drive in miles/kilometers on the amount of gas in the tank and your current avg MPG. By not going all the way to the right on a full tank...it allows for a visual representation of increased range if your MPG changes.

For example, if you have a navigation location programmed into the OBC (OnBoard CPU..I'm going back to old BMW lingo ) ...that gauge will place a DOT that indicates the range of fuel needed to make it to your destination. And if you pull up ROUTE INFO (in iDrive)...it can also show you approx where you'll need to refuel...and then you can also look for fuel stations using the POI (points of interest) feature of iDrive:
  1. {note the yellow circled "DOT" on range gauge...it indicates (from left to right) the range I can drive to a destination I have programmed that is approx 180 miles away on only 1/2 tank of fuel remaining in the tank. If I can keep the same avg MPG...it appears that I can make it to my destination if on the fuel remaining in the tank based on the DOT
  2. {and if I look at the Nav map...there's another "DOT" (see green circle & arrow) in the route around Dayton OH...this is where the nav system is recommending that I refuel...I can go into POI (in iDrive) to find fuel stations}
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0