01-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #35
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Even the automatic movement on a lot of Tags are made by Seiko. Nothing wrong with Seiko, they make decent stuff, but for the price of a Tag, I would expect more.
In some models that is so. In others it is not. Specifically, the Tag calibre 36 is a Zenith El Primero chronograph movement purchased entirely by Tag from Zenith. It's essentially the same movement that was in many a Zenith El Primero watch, many a Rolex Daytona until Rolex began making their own chronograph movements and a smattering of other watches.

The El Primero's best and worst traits is that it's been around for some 40+ years. That's good because there's no question about it reliability and durability. That's bad because there's nothing new or innovative about its design. That last point isn't a terrible thing; many watchmakers are using movements that are little, if at all, changed from movements made years and years ago.

Just for an illustration of my point about above old being neither bad nor good for a movement, but that it's something to know aobut, you may want to go here -- http://www.bernardwatch.com/Rolex-Mo...s-and-Calibers -- and then do some exploring to see what the actual differences are among the various movements Rolex has introduced over the years. A good line to follow would be the 1565, 1575, 3035 and 3135.

At the end of the day, any luxury watch purchase is emotional. Few if any of them are truly worth the money in the most objective of comparisons of functionality and price. If one is merely after functionality, form and a sensible price, there's no reason to spend over $500. Even calling $500 the lower limit of what is technically a luxury watch may be overly generous; it may be possible to achieve the pinnacle of form and functionality, durability and reliability for less.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0